Monday, August 11, 2014

Summer 2014 August 11 Monday (Summer Waning Thoughts)

 dsf

75 degrees this morning.  Walked for 57:33 minutes.  Yesterday took bike ride of around 34 minutes after a few sprinkles.  Still don’t ride bike in the dark until I brome more familiar with the streets. 

Trying ot decide on decision on joining health club (if any).  While there is a little 24 hour gym within walking distance of our house, it is of limited usage since the newspapers arrive so late and to make it work, they need to arrive early.  Probably end up at the YMCA which is comparable in price and offers a lot more  in the way of swimming etc.  Overall, I’m relatively happy with my current  habits sf walking and then riding my bike.  Of course, the community swimming pool will be closed Labor Day,so that will be a loss.

Cable TV companies must take lessons in how to provide horrible customer service and complex bills.  Comcast was bad, but the current cable tv provider is worse.  Of course, we did find that Comcast was at fault for a problem we had with our tv’s cutting out for brief periods.  Since we moved we have not had the problem, so Comcast was the problem.  

We just received our second bill from Cox and has there is  no resemblance to what we ordered.  They even included a charge of $20 per month for “unlimited calling to Mexico”!  We don’t make a single call to Mexico and they charge ur the equal of $240 per year for “unlimited calling”.  I have set aside about an hour to call them and go over their bill in detail.  Of course, I will hear a different story from every person I talk with.  

Of course, Blue Cross/Blue Shield is almost as bad.  I called to ask about dental insurance.  I as switched between five (yes five!) different people and given a different story every time.  The last person I talked with promised to e-mail me an application.  When I didn’t received it, I called back to his “personal” line, of course all I ever got was a voice meal that he would “call back” and he never did.  I finally took it to the next level and was advised that they didn’t provide dental insurance anymore.  

What is really odd is the dental insurance sales pitch was in a letter I and just received from them.  I don’t know why they couldn’t communicate something as high profile and decisive as to whether they provide dental insurance was such a problem, but it points out that all big organizations (not just government) have major problems in communication.  

Monday, start of another work week.  It is so strange to spend the summer months in shorts, t-shirt and scandals (or similar clothes)   I always joked that if I lost my job I wanted it to happen in the Spring so I could enjoy it.  Instead it happened at the worst possible time (right before Thanksgiving), but I have gotten to enjoy a Spring and Summer in, for the most part, shorts, t shirts and sandals.  

School has started in some areas, meaning summer is ending, although the summer weather should continue for several more months.  However, it does mean that winter is coming.  I really don’t mind Fall, but I don’t like Winter at all, especially when the cool weather  just seems to hang on forever.  

“If the population doubles, a City is a completely different City that it was before the population increase”  (This isn’t  exact, but the meaning is there.).  This was a quote from the “Capital int eh 21st Century”.  It is one of theses things that you know is true, but when you hear it or read it , it suddenly makes sense and seems insightful.  I guess it is insightful, if it made me think.

Obviously it is true that major change makes a different city, company or person.  Certainly, Lakeland became a different city when it doubled in size, although the issue of he school also changed the city.  I think you could say the same for any change, it makes a difference on how a city, company or person interacts with others and how it internally acts and reacts.

I think that is the sign of a good book, when it either says something that makes you think or that makes you act.  

Going out for my bicycle ride.  


That’s it for now, Monday, August 11, 2014

No comments: