Friday, August 29, 2014

Summer 2014 August 29 Friday (iPhone's iPod's, Sprouts and Drones)

ummer 2014 August 29 Friday (iPhone’s, IPod’s, Sprouts and Drones)

72 degrees this morning.  Rain forecast. Several earthquakes in the area (I believe 3).  They are a little further from us than some.  A 3.0 just happened.  

I am the proud owner of two new teeth as I completed my teeth implant yesterday.  Everything seemed to go find, and I can’t really even feel them as a foreign object in my mouth.  Still will take some time to chew on that side after chewing on the oner side for at least a year!

Apple is bringing out a new iPhone and possibly an iWatch (or something like that).  It will be interesting to see.  

I still have, and am using, my 8 year old (I think) iPod shuffles with the original batteries.  I can’t believe the batteries are lasting so long, but I like the design a lot better then the later shuffles.  I am also using all of my old (no longer used as phones) iPods.  They make great iPods!  I think the oldest (for me an iPhone 3)  is about 6 years old and still going strong.  \

While I really don’t like not having a battery which is “consumer replaceable”, I really can’t complain.  Of course when the battery goes out of the iPod Shuffles, it will cost more to put it a new battery than to buy a brand new iPod Shuffle!  I’m not sure what I will do with the old iPhones when the battery goes out.  So far, it is simply not a problem.  

The iPad one (or “original iPad”) poses special problems for me.  I actually like some aspects of it and hate to io give it up,but it is so slow as compared to the newest iPad, which is wonderful.  I use the original iPad some as an iPod, but it is a little clunky for using it a lot.  If I start driving a lot, as part of my work, it may come in more handy  I also has some special apps which work well.  I like the color on the original iPad.  Not necessarily better than the new iPad, I just like it.

It will probably be a while before I upgrade to the iPhone 6, but….  

I am peaked to see that Lakeland is getting a “Sprouts” in the old Kroger grocery store. The staff and several of the previous Commissioners  worked hard for it.  I’m sure they won’t get any credit for it, but they are really the ones who deserve the credit.   

In my opinion, Sprouts is kind of like a baby Whole Foods, with the narrow aisles and high prices, but it also has some good points and good items and I’m sure will be a success in that  area.  We have two near us now, but we rarely go there except for some specialty items, but it is normally very busy, so it should be a great asset to the area.  

I am disappointed that the persons who really did the work aren’t getting any credit for it, but that is kind of the way life goes.  

The previous Growth Management Director did a lot of work on all of the commercial projects going on now, and of course, is not getting any credit for it, nor will the previous City Engineer get any credit for all the work he did on the interchange and streets etc.  Kind of pathetic, but a lot of people know the  truth and neither of them (or the previous Commissioners or staff) were in it for personal credit, and they have the satisfaction they know they contributed.

Drones.  I just saw where Google is not testing delivery by drones as are other companies.  I can see the advantage, but I also see problems for use of air space, invasion of privacy, and liability problems, accidents etc although but I expect that can be worked out.  I’m now sure how they will work out the likely possibility that criminals will hijack them or shoot them down or just hack through to instruct them to fly somewhere else.

That may be the reason I haven’t seen the “driverless car” I have been waiting for since I saw the ad at least 50 years ago of the family i the car playing cards while the car drove itself.  I really never thought i would still be driving the car, and basically he same car (with a lot of improvements, but still basically he same type of car) 50 years later.  


That’s it for now, Friday, August 29, 2014.

No comments: