Thursday, August 21, 2014

Summer 2014 August 21 Thursday (Sigs)



81 degrees this morning.  Walked 53:35 minutes, a new record. Three earthquakes in the are this last night/this morning, one measuring around 3.2.  Biked yesterday around 30 minutes.

A lot of debate on whether fracking  for oil  is creating the earthquakes.  I heard they are so much deeper than the oil fracking.  I haven’t heard if this is a preliminary “the big one”, like they are forecasting for Memphis.   

Establishing new Doctors etc. this week, a number of appointments  Useless to compare therm with previous Doctors etc., what is, is.  

 This city believes in “speed control by stop sign” (which doesn’t really work).  It makes bike riding a lot harder since legally I am supposed to come to to full stop at each stop sign.  With “speed control by stop sign’, most vehicles also don’t stop at stop signs, the the integrity of the stop sign is lost and where stop signs are really supposed to be, they are frequently ignored, leading to more dangerous.  

Also, Stop Signs by themselves don’t really help control speed, and is frequently counterproductive.  

As you can  tell, this is a favorite peeve of mine!    

They also have a lot of “yield” signs here.  In most cases, yield signs are completely ignored and are worse then useless, at least in my opinion.  

I recently read that signs were originally set up so the the number of sides indicated the importance of the sign emphasized the importance of the sign.  The most important is a sign with no sides, so a round sign is the most important traffic control signs or the railroad warning sign. 

The Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices is the governing manual used by most cities and counties on installing traffic control devices.  If they don’t comply, the city or county could be liable in an accident (if the misplaced device created the accident).

Speaking of peeves on walks and bicycles, there must be a special place for people who park over sidewalks.  What do they think sidewalks are for?  It makes it impossible to walk or bike on a sidewalk.  While I don’t walk or bike on the sidewalk, it is very dangerous and could lead to serious accidents.  

Parking on sidewalks is also one reason I restrict my bike riding to the neighborhood.  If I ride on a busy street, for safety reasons,  I would need to ride on the sidewalk, but the many violations of the law against parking on sidewalks (which is widely ignored) make it a real safety hazard. 

Combine people parking on sidewalks, with the lack of maintenance, sidewalks are basically useless.  

Planning for my schedule change starting September 2.  I am sure once it starts everything will fall into place.
Took a nap this morning (I frequently take a nap after I walk and before I ride my bikeI). I had dreams of speeding cars (I was also in a car, not walking or on my bicycleI).  

That’s it for  now,  Wednesday, August 21, 2014








                

No comments: