Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Summer 2014 August 12 Tuesday (Costs and Prices)



64 degrees this morning.  When it is 64 degrees (or in the range), I always think it will be cool like it was last spring when 64 degrees was still cool enough to dress warm.  For some reason, 64 degrees in the summer isn’t that cold and I tend to overdress.    Walked 56:53 minutes this morning, also sit ups and barbells. 

My weight bench (which is on the patio and has been for the past 8 years), has mushrooms browning out of the sides and bottom.  I don’t know if this is dangerous or not, but I wouldn’t eat them!  It really is weird, but I don’t see how it compromises the integrity of the bench.  I really like the bench, except that I can’t use it with a barbell.  I am keeping my eye out for a bench I can also use the barbell (such as for bench presses etc.)

After Labor Day, we will start looking at a gym (probably the YMCA).  I plan not only to continue my swimming on a regular basis but also expanding my weight lifting program.  

I am enjoying my “extended walk” in the morning (almost double what I have walked for years).  It gives me the chance to listen more to my audiobooks, and I just feel like I am stretching my limits a little.  

Listening to “Capital in the 21st Century”.  I’m not sure why I found it so interesting, but the author made the point that while products such as electronics and even food are much cheaper in terms of “hours worked to purchase” the item, a haircut has basically remained the same price.  The reason is that it takes the same amount of time to give a haircut, and the income of a barber/hair stylist has basically remained the same, and even the technology hasn’t changed much.  So, on average, it costs the same amount of time to work to get a haircut as it did 100 years ago! 

An example he specifically mentioned of interest to me was the price of the early bicycles were six month’s salary, and this was just for a basic bicycle, with basic brakes and wheels .  In a few years an advance bicycle costs one months pay, and then soon an even more advanced bicycle costs a weeks pay etc. Of course, it depends on what you consider a days pay is also.  

Obviously an even better example is electronics, for the item itself, although the service costs have  remained high. 

I still remember when I bought an inexpensive tv that broke after several years.  I took it in for repair and was advised it was a “disposable tv” and if something went wrong, you just threw it away and bought another one.  Of course now there are numerous items that are essentially “disposable” since it costs more to fix them than it does to purchase a new, much improved, item!  

In fact, when it comes to items such as iPhones, iPads, iPods etc., perfectly good devices are abandoned, given away or used for other purposes just because of the improved features of the new ones.  I could name lot more areas where this is true.

Kali and Katherine (our youngest Granddaughters) are starting school next week (the school system they go to starts later than many schools.  Seeing time pass in the lives of children really emphasizes how fast time goes.  I have watched Aliene’s grandchildren grow just since we got married and it is just amazing the changes in their lives in 18 years.  Of course, Kali and Katherine are only 14 and 11 (Katherine is 12 next week), so the change have been even more dramatic for them.  

I have probably been much more aware of time passing since last  November (when my job status changed), almost like I am under some kind of deadline, but I”m really not.  

Like life, this journal goes in a direction I hadn’t planned.  While walking, I was going to go into another subject today.  I never even got the chance to bring up the subject! Maybe tomorrow.

That’s it for today, Tuesday, August 12, 2014


No comments: