Monday, August 25, 2014

Summer 2014 August 25 Monday (The Wind)


82  Degrees this morning.  Walked 55:22 minutes.

I realized this morning that we are recycling almost twice as much as we send to the landfill each week.  I’m not sure if we should be proud of the fact we recycle more than we dispose of or if it means we use too many disposable  items!  I”m not going to sit around and dwell on it, but it is something to consider.  

The wind is so dominating here.  The only thing I can do is learn to live with it.  I can understand why it drove people mad.  As far as dealing with it on my bicycle, it is going to be a major factor.  At least I am relieved to learn my tires aren’t leaking, or my legs aren’t getting old (well they are, but they’re still in shape), it is just the wind.  

When I was still in Lakeland, I rode east down Highway 64 (it is an east/west highway with an excellent bike lane).  There was a strong wind at my back and I was happily going along at 26-28 mph (to put this into context, my usual speed is probably about 11 mph, if that).  I was out about 4 miles, when I suddenly realized I had to peddle AGAINST the wind, with a storm coming in!  I turned around and headed back and probably went about 6 mph!  

On my morning ride here there is one area (a slight downgrade, with a south wind at my backI), I can reach 22 mph, however on the way back, I go about 8 mph!  I have a lot of training left!  As I continue, I will get faster.  I take it easy on my bike and just enjoy myself.

Of course, in Tennessee it was the hills, etc. (which I don’t mind near as much as the wind). 

I read something a long time ago about how if you live on the plains, the mountains or the seashore, it shapes how you view life and I can understand that.  

Visited the dermatologist and she advised me to wear a hat with a “brim” on all sides to cover my ears as well as my head etc.  I guess theta means to dust off my old cowboy hat (I actually purchased it at least 14 years ago, it was specifically made for me, since my hat size is about 8 1/2. ).  Of course, if I do that than I need to get cowboy boots!  

As September 2 approaches, I am thinking of how I will prioritize my morning routine  My routine for the last few months has been walk, read the paper and nap and write, ride the bicycle, eat breakfast, go swimming, take a whirlpool patch, nap….  I will need to change my schedule!  I have enjoyed it, but it is time to change, especially if I am doing something I feel is worthwhile and I enjoy.  

As I mentioned previously,  I will continue my walk for sure, and my pre-breakfast nap.  Hopefully, I can continue my morning bike ride.  I have to have breakfast.  Hopefully in several weeks I will have a “Home office” and I can adjust my schedule again to allow more morning pre-work activities, since I won’t have to allow for the commute time.  (The actual commute time is only about 10 to 15 minutes, but you also have to allow getting to the building, getting settled in etc.)

I am trying to look at my eating habits to see if I can lose more weight.  I know I eat too much peanut butter etc., but it is hard not to eat it!  I am going to start re-emphasizing how many carbs I eat and also control the amount of peanut butter etc.  I eat.  (I have found moderation is as important as anything. Completely denying yourself somewhat you enjoy isn’t a good idea either.  I am using the app “My Fitness Pal” and the main problem is just remembering to take the time to input it into the program!  The problem is the program has some limitations and I get frustrated with the program limitations.  I have learned that “approximate is ok”  and I don’t need to be exact.

I am reviewing several books on food which were recommended to me  and hopefully will get some ideas on what foods to avoid and foods to eat both for weight control and health.

My real purpose in keep   track of the food I eat is just to be aware of how much I do eat.  I started “measuring” my peanut butter usage by putting it in the little cups like restaurants have etc.  

It’s Monday.  Have a nice week!

That’s it for now, Monday, August 25, 2014.


No comments: