Saturday, August 02, 2014

Summer 2014 August 2 Saturday (Age)



70 degrees this morning.  It still feels awkward to write “August”, it feels like August should be a longs ways off yet.  Walk 57:59 this morning, 40 sit ups, increased barbell weights to 20 lbs.

Another case yesterday of a recruiter saying she would highly recommend me for an interview and then the call that the Council had decided “other applicants were more suitable and I wasn’t being interviewed”.  The recruiter was very professional and showed a lot of class in calling me and advising me.  So many don’t ever bother to contact you, even after they expect you to fill out numerous forms and questionnaires etc.  I am amazed at the age discrimination so prevalent in today’s job market.  (It isn’t just me, it is described to me by numerous other persons and in many article sand books i have read.)  What can you do about it?  Nothing, just smile and say thanks for notifying me.  And give a little prayer of thanks that I don’t work for an organization governed by such a group of ignorant “leaders”. 

The excuse is frequently given that older persons may retire, may not stay there long etc, which is the essence of agism.  In reality, I have started longer than average and the hurling people say they want someone who “will stay longer than 2 years).  Based on my past history, I would say I show a history of staying longer than 2 years!  

Of course, what is even worst are the persons who are “laid off” shortly before they vest in their retirement and or are eligible for full retirement, and they lose health insurance etc.  I’m not quite sure what the answer is, I doubt that there is an answer.  

I certainly realize there are a lot of reasons that a specific person is employed and I’m well aware there are a lot of qualified people applying for positions and age discrimination is certainly not the reason for not getting a job much of the time.   

Anyway, enough of that, there isn’t anything I can do about it, except realize “what is, is” and I have to deal with the world as it is.  If you don’t believe it, hang around long of enough (until you are over 50, over 60 etc.) and you will realize the truth of it fast. 

One of my secret vices (maybe not so secret to readers of this blog), is watching boxing and I watching a videotape of last night boxing right now. Boxing is one area where you really notice the role of “intimidation” in relationships (if a boxing match can be called a relationship) and how the fight is frequently actually decided well before the fight is actually decided.  Of course in real life, it isn’t near as cut and dried and attempts at intimidation have backfired.  

Moving continues.  I thought I had my book collection well in hand, when I suddenly discover two more boxes of books!  Of course, these were mostly books I wouldn’t even think of weeding!  I am going through everything again to see what books I can “weed” so my books will fit on the available bookshelves!  

So many of my books are like old friends and I just am not going to give them away or donate them.  However, I have a bunch I have donated to the library or given to people, so my collection been cut roughly into half of what it was.  Otherwise still going through items to continue determining what I can “live without”!  If I used the rule of tossing or donating everything I haven’t used for a year, I could cut out  lot more items!

This is one of those situations where you realize truth that your possessions you own (or can own), can actually own you, if you let them control your life.   In many case it is a minor item which would be easily replaced hat you carry around for years.

Set up my final two appointments for my tooth implants.  I only have to  get the molds done thane they have them “ and them have them “installed” to have two brand new teeth? 

That’s it for now, Saturday, August  2, 2014 



No comments: