Friday, August 22, 2014

Summer 2014 August 22 Friday (Anticipation)



82 degrees this morning.  Summer finally arrives in late August!  Walk 54:57 minutes this morning, biked about 30 minutes yesterday.  No earthquakes  today (at least none showing up on my app.)  My bike ride has been shorter since there appears to be a problem with the tire or chain, or maybe a problem with my legs not in shape yet!

Bike ride has changed a little with the arrival of the school buses (school is just starting here) and the crowds of children either standing on the corner or slowing making their way to the bus stop.  

Tomorrow will mark two months since our move.  Even though we have gone back on a fairly frequent basis and greatly enjoy our visits with friends (during these visits it is almost like we haven’t moved, it is kind of a shock when we end our visit and realize it is not a regular event anymore, which I guess makes it even more treasured), it is almost like we have never lived there.  

In a sense, we have never lived in Lakeland as it exists today, and I’m not sure we would want to, since it is basically changing to a “non-city”, where the general concept seems to be to provide as few public services as possible and make it a city that is primarily “business friendly” at the expense of the residents.  

I felt the same separation last November when I was no longer working for the City.  After a week or so, it was like I have never worked there, on a psychological basis.  

I remember the story about President Reagan, when we was in the last stages of his illness.  He saw a replica of the White House and looked at it and said “I used to have something to do with that”.  I always thought that was sad, and I was surprised at how fast I felt the same psychological separation.  

It kind of goes back to my favorite saying “The World Without End is Ending”.  The world of employment, a residence continues until it is over, and then it is over.  

Kind of like the cartoon in the paper I saw recently.  The family is moving and the little boy looks around the house and says “this used to be our house but now it is just a house”.  

After receiving my newspapers at the “normal time” all week,(around 3:30 a.m., or at least they are here when I complete my walk), the newspapers are “late” today (probably will be here at 6 a.m.).  I really wish they would not deliver them early, if they aren’t going to do it all the time, it just ruins my routine.  

Of course, as a friend recently a advised me, all I need to do is just read the paper when it is a day old, that way I would always have it when I wanted it and I would have my routine!  It actually makes sense, but somehow I have to read the paper as soon as it arrives or it is like “what’s the use!”.  

Kind of like mail, I have always loved to receive the mail.  Evan as a child, I can remember walking down to the mailbox and waiting for the mail, even when I didn’t expect anything and my disappointment (that I still feel today) when I don’t get anything!  I am a regular checker of e-mail, it is like getting mail on a 24 hour basis.

Kali (my granddaughter) is going to a concert with a friend this weekend.  They are staying overnight in another City.  It is one fo the first stages of her establishing her own life and probably one of her first adventures from her parents.  She saved her own money for the trip and has been anticipating this since early in the year.  I hope it is everything she anticipates.  It is wonderful when it is, a learning experience when you realize that anticipation is frequently 90% of the fun.

i think that is why I enjoyed China so much.  I anticipated the trip for about 5 months and it was everything I anticipated and more, in fact, much more.  It was not a matter of anticipating something and suddenly it is over and you wonder what you really anticipated.  


That’s it for today, Friday, August 22, 2014.

No comments: