Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Summer 2014 August 13 Wednesday (Smart Thermostat)

Summer 2014 August 13 Wednesday (Smart Thermostat)

70 degrees this morning.Yesterday, when it was 64 degrees, I noted it didn’t seem cold.  However, I changed my mind when I rode my bike, it was cold!  Walk today 54:04 minutes, a definite new record.  I knew I was walking faster this morning, but I don’ know why I was so much faster today compared to yesterday.  May be because I am concentrating on walking faster.  

Getting my “molds” for may new teeth (teeth implants) this week.  Then I will get my “new teeth” installed (i guess that’s the right word) in two weeks and the almost year long process will be over.  It really hasn’t been that bad, I would definitely would do it as having to continue dealing with the bridge.  The cost is about the same as a bridge replacement and will be the last time I need to do it.  

The electric rate we have is a “Smart Thermostat” rate, although we haven’t had the “smart thermostat” installed yet.  We asked for approval to install it, but haven’t heard so we are assuming it is ok.  There is no charge for the smart thermostat which I assume allows us to program similar to a “Nest” thermostat, which would be my preferred option.  

The Smart Thermostat (or Smart Meter) rate apparently saves us money, although probably not as much as someone who is out of the house a lot.  The rate varies from .05 cents a kilowatt to a high of .42 cents a kilowatt depending on the “electric load” the electric company is experiencing or projects to experience.

Anytime the rate is more than .05, we get an e-mail that for certain hours the rate will be higher (normally .10, .19 or .43) depending on their forecasting load.  

While we will probably have better savings when we have the smart thermostat installed, we also get a weekly report on number of kilowatts used, our savings versus the “regular” rate etc.

What I really like is that I can check with their website on my iPad, computer or even my iPhone and see exactly how many kilowatts we have used today (actually real time), this week, and since the last bill etc.  I don’t use it as much as I should.

If nothing else, the “smart thermostat” program has made me very aware of our electricity use.  I am more conscious of turning lights off, keeping the AC turned up (or down, depending on how you look at it, in other words, the hottest possible temperature where we are still comfortable at) and using ceiling fans before I turn the thermostat lower.  

Our house is somewhat naturally cool.  With the exception of one room, almost all rooms where you expect a ceiling fan has one, and that helps a lot.

We haven’t had to water our lawn yet, and I hope that continues.  I see nothing more wasteful than using drinking water to keep a lawn green or water plants that aren’t natural to the climate.  An individual doing it on their own is one thing, but I always felt that development requirements for irrigation of medians etc. is particularity wasteful, depending on the area you are in. There is proven technology to use wastewater etc. safety and effectively and I feel the emphasize should be on promoting such technology rather than promoting he waste of our precious ground water.

Watching the tv show based on the “CMA Fest”.  Makes me wonder if I attended the same festival or not.  At least they are showing the music this year and not some made up story like they have don’t in past years.  Thank goodness for the “fast forward” button and DVR’s.  


That’s it for now, Wednesday, August 13, 2014.

No comments: