Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Summer 2014 August 6 Wednesday (Happy Birthday)



79 degrees this morning.  Walked approximately 57:28 minutes, 40 sit ups, 20 lb barbells.  Bicycled about 41 minutes.

During my bike ride yesterday, I came across “Snake Lane” and “Bonner Pass” in my addition (or at least in the neighborhood I ride in, it actually isn’t my addition). I know I wouldn’t want to live on “Snake Lane”, and Bonner Pass (if my memory is correct) also may have it’s difficulties.  

Some wind during my walk, probably will have to deal with wind during bicycle ride.  Some time ago, I decided I prefer hills to the wind.  The wind is a lot more difficult to deal with.  Yesterday, completed a full schedule of exercise with a bike ride of about 41 minutes and a swim of 26 minutes.  Neither one is all that impressive as I only average about 11 mph on the bike and just kind of dog paddle in the pool, but I have fun and get some exercise.  

When I turned 60, I noted hat in 10 years I would be 70.  I am now 70% towards that milestone., if it is actually a milestone.    

Reflecting on my 67 years, I have to say, I am “where I am meant to be” (whether it is where i wanted to be or not)  and I will have to do the best I can to deal with whatever my situation is.  

Some time ago, a friend mentioned that the words of the song “You may not always get what you want, but you get what you need”, had special significance.  I am still thinking about that one!  I’m still trying to decipher the meaning of it and how it impacts on me.

Obviously the highlight of the past year has been the trip to China.  Seeing the culture(s), meeting the people and observing was really an interesting experience. I would love to go back sometime.  I really enjoyed the discussions with the other city officials and looking at the cultures of the different areas.  I think I am still trying to assimilate all of it as I go through the pictures and notes of our experiences.  The international nature of the conference was also interesting (of course Chinese, and also Australia, England, Russia, and Canada). 

While I regret not being in Lakeland and especially our house, back yard and friends, I couldn’t work for someone I have absolutely no respect for and that I expect will end up leaving in disgrace. 

Aliene mentioned, and I agree, the hardest  part of the past year has been losing some of the routines we had developed that we had enjoyed, that involved all aspects of our lives, including valued routines with friends, and just our daily routines that we valued.  

I recently read that PTSD (or something like that) can result from any sudden change in your life style and sometimes it takes time and effort to deal with it, sometimes it just isn’t doable. I’ll have to do some more reading on that.  But it doesn’t just result from battle, or being the victim of a crime, it can create problems from any stress that “life isn’t safe or secure” anymore and I think a change in routines certainly qualifies as a stressor. 

The Ebola crisis reminds me of a book I read years ago about Ebola (I believe it was called the Hot Zone.)  I was shocked to read that such a disease existed and there was nothing that could be done about it.  I really admire the Doctors and other persons who help the persons with Ebola.  I don’t know what the incentive is, but it must take a special type person to to deal with that.  

Starting a new year.  A blank slate that gets a little smaller each year!  However, I have to think that this year I have a lot of opportunities I have had in previous years and I need to take advantage of the opportunity.  Much like Aliene mentions, she said (and it is true), we couldn’t have gone to China if I had been working, and I would have missed a major experience in my life.

Looking forward to the year  ahead, whatever it may bring.


That’s it for now, Wednesday, August 6, 2014.

No comments: