Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Summer 2014 August 20 Wednesday (Earthquakes)



79 degrees this morning.  Walk of 55;41 minutes.  (bicycle ride yesterday morning of approximately 44 minutes)

Happy Birthday Katherine!  12 years old today!

Earthquake measuring around 4.2 yesterday, probably about 20 miles away.  Anyway, strong enough and near enough to show up on the iPhone “App” as an earthquake.  (It only reports at least 2.5 minimum earthquakes).  There are about three 2.5 earthquakes per day around here, according to the app.  Most of them are about 20 miles away

Aliene, and many other people, felt the earthquake.  I was out riding my bike and I didn’t feel a thing.  Aliene said she felt it and she didn’t really care for it!  It was large enough that social media posted on it a lot and the quake  made the news.  

Some of the damage is street cracks etc.  The image of the street suddenly opening up as I ride isn’t a nice thought!

When we moved to Memphis, I heard about the “big one” (Earthquake-  which was coming.  I wondered if I rally wanted to live with the possibility of such an earthquake.  In 1804 Memphis had an earthquake so severe the Mississippi actually flowed backward.       

We never did buy earthquake insurance. At first, our insurance policy covered earthquake damage with a $25,000 deductible,  then they canceled it completely.  

We are seriously thinking about not buying a house here, just based on the number of earthquakes here and the fact it is difficult and expensive to find insurance.  Of course there is also a school of thought that if  the “big one” comes, it really doesn’t matter whether  you have insurance or not.

Our orientation continues.  We had an appointment with our primary card doctor today, I feel we will be happy with him and the  clinic.  We finally got our drivers license yesterday and are taking car of similar “getting established” items.


I have my final work on my teeth implant next week.  Should be a relatively simple procedure.  I would recommend it, although I would highly recommend getting a detailed estimate of costs.  My procedure is costing about $2,000 more than I was led to believe it was going to cost, and that it still isn’t over.  

No comments: