Monday, August 04, 2014

Summer 2014 August 4 Monday (Street Patterns)



72 degrees this morning.  Walk approximately 57.13 (approximate because I forgot to turn off the timer), 40 sit-ups,  20 lb barbells.  

Organized book collection yesterday.  hopefully a major step forward in moving in.  I avoided more immediate “weeding” by placing the books in a different arrangement on the shelves. I try to separate out the ones I am keeping only because I feel I may read then when I get “a round tuit” The problem is the “round to it” reality arrives.  

I enjoyed it in a lot of ways, since it reacquainted me with some favorite books.  One problem is it is difficult to justify keeping my many reference books (joke books, quotation books, dictionaries etc.) when the information is actually available on the internet much faster and more up to date.  I also have a number of books I read as a child and I later found “first’ or  at least early editions of the books.

A 1903 text book on “Urban Planning” is a prize possession, although I doubt if it is worth anything as such.  I enjoy looking at it.  I found the objectives of planning are basically  the same 111 years later! 

Rode my bicycle for  a “regular’” ride yesterday.  I started off to just to a few minute “reacquainted” ride and it felt so good, I went ahead and just kept riding to see what was around the corner!

I am learning a lot about the streets in our addition by walking and riding it on the bicycle.  Obviously the bicycle is a lot faster.  Our addition is the ultimate in “non-connective” streets and neighborhoods.  It is a maze of streets that looks like it was designed to test the intelligence of rats.  (Or maybe humans).   I have walked it enough I was developing an idea of a pattern, and the bike helped confirm the pattern.  In the end, it kind of makes sense, in a convoluted way.

I’m not really a strong believer in “connectively” as far as residential, and I especially am a strong believer in “Coves”,  but I am a very strong believer in commercial connectivity.  This city is the the ultimate “counter-connectively” pattern, with some areas where you literally have to go several miles to get to the next store over, due to he street patterns, and absolutely failure to have any kind of frontage road or connections between parking lots etc.  They are also strong believers in “Terrace Streets” here.

Anyway, I have had fun figuring out the street patterns here.  I also find myself noting code violations, street repairs needed, worn or  leaning signs, illegal construction practices etc as I do as City Manager.  So far I haven’t reported any of the violations.

This time of year always reminds me that it was my favorite as a child since my bother and wiser were born same day one year apart, and I was born the next day three years later.  So in early August we would have a big “three person” birthday party including swimming and a picnic.  

I remember I always though early August was called the “Dog Days” because it was so hot all the dogs were disappear as they found places to get out of the heat.  Later, I found it  refers to   a   an astrology arrangement, primarily involved the star Sirius, nicknamed “the dog star”.  Depending on which article you are reading, the situation may not exist now that originally led to the term “The Dog Days”.

I have scheduled my final two visits for the “tooth implant”  procedure.  I will be glad when it is over, but I would encourage anyway to use this procedure instead of having to deal with dental bridges etc.  

A mark in our progress on moving is that today is “bulk trash” day, and we don’t have any “bulk trash”, although we continue to use both of the big trash carts we have.


That’s it for now, Monday, August 4, 2014.

No comments: