Monday, July 08, 2013

Summer 2013 July 8


I wonder sometimes about attachments to inanimate objects, since as my inability to simply throw away some things after they are worn out.
Yesterday, I read an interesting article about peoples attachment to t-shirts.  
With over 200 t-shirts of my own (some torn to the point of being unwearable), I was interested and understood the story!  I can understand my attachment to "event" t-shirts that bring back good memories etc, but I also remain attached to no-name t-shirts that I don't wear and probably never will.  I have many that are now to big but I generally feel there isn't such as thing as a t-shirt that is too big!  
Several years ago, when I absolutely had to throw away a t-shirt (probably five in the last 20 years), Aliene cuts out the design with the idea of  making a quilt of them some day.
More improbable is my attachment to my iPod shuffles (the gum package type) which are starting to lose their battery power.  After almost 7 years, I can't complain.  However, I really like this type of iPod Shuffle and I can't bring myself to throw them away and I am not mechanically inclined enough to replace the $6.95 battery, but too cheap to pay $52 (more than a brand new iPod Shuffle!) to have someone replace it.  I do throw away magazines and newspapers (give them away when I can) and I also need to get started on disposing of my books, old conference notes I will never review again etc.
Hats are a real problem for me to throw or give away.  Since I take a large hat, I finally have decided to give away (if decent) or throw away (if not) all hats that don't fit me perfect.  
Perfect day on the patio, 76 degrees at 3 a.m.  Busy week ahead, but oddly enough all of my night meetings were canceled.  Interviewing applicants for a vacancy, which takes a lot of time and energy to prepare for.

No comments: