Monday, February 08, 2016

2016 Winter February 8 Monday



39 degrees ((feels like 29); Walk 36:27 minutes 

Basically back to “normal” after a lot of exercise helping move Saturday.  

Coughing is basically over, with a few spells when I hit cold weather.  I guess I’ll need to start using my “puffs” during the day, other than just before I exercise.

Hopefully will get back into swimming, bicycling and the exercise machine machines soon.   I feel like I can control my cough etc. now, but it is basically a matter of resuming after we move.  I hate to delay too long because it takes some time to get back into the full swing of it. 

Frankly, I am glad the Super Bowl is over.  Fortunately I can just ignore the hype in reading and skip through it on the tv.  (Even news shows were having “news” about the Super Bowl which made me grateful for the DVD and that we tape all of our shows.  

I have to admit, I did read that the commercials were going to chock full of “celebrities” .  Probably says more about me than it does the commercials, but I didn’t recognize a single “celebrity” in any of the commercials, which probably also means I missed the point!  

Oh, well, such is life.  I don’t really feel I missed anything, so I didn’t.

We did tape the Super Bowl and watched it on a “delay” basis, but we did make a conscious decision to try to watch the commercials and just skip the “analysis” of the game with the talking heads that is always so boring.

 It also means that Winter, at least as far as the potential for snow and ice is also waning.  

I finally quit reading the on-line “USA Today” at breakfast.  The “news” was becoming more oriented towards sports and “celebrities” that it wasn’t worth it for the good tech news they had.  Also, the on-line version of USA Today had a lot of “news” that was  really just the opinion of the editorial staff and not “news”. 

I am really looking forward to Spring.  It seems like it has been a long, boring and colorless winter.  Not that my life has been uninteresting or bad, just that the weather has been so drab.  I am ready for the colors of Spring.

While I denigrate the considerable money and time  and water wasted in planting and maintaining plants and grass which was never meant to grow in this area, it will be nice to see the colors of Spring again.

Of course, most the true beautiful colors and plants are “natural” plants to this area.  

Gasoline is down to $1.15 per gallon here, something I thought I would never see.  If it goes below $1.00 (other than gas wars or special sales), I know I never thought I would see that again.  

I realize this is the “other side” of the “Supply and Demand” market that many people (including me) support at least in theory.  

In this case, while the gasoline  is cheap, I expect most people in this area would gladly pay more if it would  benefit the local economy, which of course it would.  

Of course, as usual, airline, utility, delivery  customers etc. don’t see the benefits of low fuel costs, although the they. certainly cried enough and couldn’t wait to add “fuel surcharges”  when gasoline was high and now don’t pass on the savings.  

Since I drive a hybrid, my cost of gas has literally decreased to a nominal amount, something like 2.5 cents per mile for gas.  I like the hybrid anyway (it has great pickup, almost like a V-8, except without the sound) and will gladly take any savings.  


That’s it for now, Monday February 8, 2016.

No comments: