Wednesday, February 24, 2016

2016 Winter February 24 Wednesday


38 degrees this morning, walk 36:42 minutes 

Spring is less than a month away!  Actually, spring starts a littler earlier than that, normally the first part of March.

Of course, then seems to take forever to really warm up (permanently) for the Summer, usually around mid-May before Summer is  really here.  

One thing I like about here I missed in Memphis was the long summer evening sunsets.  Of course, even here, I can’t just look out the back window and see the sunset, I have to go someplace where you can look at the west. 

There is nothing quite like a sunset here.

As I’m sure i mentioned before, oddly enough I miss the summer evenings in Memphis, there is really nothing quite like it.  I also liked he early morning sunrises (the sun rises-and also sets-an hour later here than in Memphis.  

Life progresses, as we continue to move in.  Unpacking (for me at least) has gotten slower as I struggle to decide where to put stuff where I will find it and what I can donate and not have to manage anymore.  

The thought of earthquakes is strongly remote.  I have actually only felt two earthquakes that I knew were earthquakes, but they seem to be getting stronger and more frequent.  What used to be a 2.5 is now a 3.5 etc.

When I first moved to Memphis and heard about the “New Madrid Fault” (which will eventually bring a massive earthquake), I kind of wondered why I had moved there!  You soon learn to live with the thought, and realize, “if it comes we will deal with it”, just like tornados, floods etc.  

Actually, I was probably bothered more by the appalling high school graduation rate in Tennessee.  Not a reflection on the general education of the population of Tennessee, but the poor high school graduation rate just amazed me.  

Of course, that was one of the objectives of Tennessee, was improving education and the graduation rate, and I think they made and are continuing to make progress towards that.  

In this state, I was stunned learn of how persons are charged huge fees for minor crimes, probably guaranteeing they will remain jobless and turn to crime.  

I really think the “bail” system is abused, while I definitely feel there should be “bail” (on none) for major crimes, speeding or making an illegal u-turn (or even minor crimes) hardly justify high bail fees or even any kind of “bail”.  With our technology now, we hardly need bail.  Of course, bill bondsman, make political contributions ….

In addition to the high bail (probably meaning they will lose their jobs) there is a system of fees and charges that are almost criminal the way they guarantee that a person can’t get a fresh start. They even charge for “being in jail”, literally more than a cheap hotel would cost!  Talk about really making sure no-one can come back! 

No wonder this state has one of the highest jail rates and criminals. Not only that, it cost more to keep someone in jail, and much more when you consider they aren’t paying  taxes etc.

Obviously a lot of people deserve to be in jail, but the system here really makes sure even someone just with a minor traffic violation could be literally forced into a life of crime.  

Of course, then you have the “private prisons” who contribute huge sums of money and lobby for “stricter” terms so they can charge the state more for jailing people. That is unbelievable.

I mention this because of a state wide group that is seeking to reform this.  Hopefully they will have some impact.  

“Field day” yesterday, today will be a very busy “office day”.


That’s it for now, Wednesday, February 24, 2016.

No comments: