Sunday, February 14, 2016

2016 Winter February 14 Sunday


48 degrees (feels like 40), walk 35:29 minutes 

I dressed for 48 degrees for my walk this morning, not thinking of the  effects of the cold wind!  There is  really no good way to dress for this weather.  I did warm up as I walked so it worked out ok.

Moving to a new house is somewhat of a process and, since we can’t actually move until right after we close on the future house, we are missing the process of gradually taking over boxes etc. and mentally deciding where everything should go we had in this house.  I like that process a lot better, but it is impossible in this case.

While I realize it is in the “short term”, we have packed up a lot of stuff and so have been living with a low fewer alternatives as far as clothes etc.  Of closure, we are doing fine with a lot less “stuff” although of course it is in the short term. 

We plan on continuing to pare items we don’t use after we move.  I am really thinking of picking out a few “best” of items such as t-shirts, hats, shirts etc. and donating or throwing the best.  

Having a decent library system available has helped us avoid buying books etc.

The Library Book Sale is this weekend.  I am going, but probably will buy very few books.  I think I purchased four last year, and they were the type I donated back after I read them. 

I do watch for books on Lincoln, and some books by favorite authors.  

Books are evolving, since technology etc. moves too fast for printed books to even be printed before they are obsolete.  That probably changes the nature of the subject of books.

However, on the other hand, I can “print” a book in a few hours and send any number of copies by e-mail, web site etc. immediately to anyone in the world anywhere, so the potential (and I emphasize potential) impact is tremendous.  

The key is probably getting people to read it, the same as a “regular” book. 

Of course, I go to the Library Book Sale because I love books and I being around people who like books and who are anxiously buying books by the box!  

Of course Libraries are becoming a lot more than they used to be.  I can remember going to the library when I was a kid and spending hours looking at the books and magazines and then I worked at the college library for several years.  

The Presidential debate last night was interesting to say the least.  I am looking forward to the commentary on it and the actual voting.  Again, it is a shame that a few states who are hardly representative of the United States are allowed to have such an impact on the election.  

I remember excited Tim Russert  got about the Presidential Election of 2008 (although he died before the election)  he would really be rubbing his hands in anticipation on this one! 

I recently read that the general culture of the United States is changing as politicians, business etc. increasing defines us by “groups” and not as individuals.  

The problem is that then this tends to to reinforce “group think” and we don’t feel as individual as we used to.  Even people who strongly assert the basic concept of individual decisions are defining themselves by groups and so actually are reinforcing the decline of the individual in our society!

If we don’t feel as individuals, then we actually act out what we perceive are the group goals and so we get in line and act as part of the group!

My thoughts are based on an article in the Saturday Wall Street Journal.  I will need to read up some more on this.  

Tune 718 of 6544, “Give me your Names” from Schindler’s LIst, performed by Itzhak Perlman. I don’t remember what the scene was in the movie, but it is a very beautiful song.

Happy Valentines Day! 


That’s it for now, Sunday, February 14, 2016.

No comments: