Friday, February 12, 2016

2016 Winter February 12 Friday


33 degrees this morning, walk 34:54 minutes

Finished the biography of Woodrow Wilson, so started on “Great Course” of the Civil War.

I tried to speed it up to 1.5 times normal, but that was a little fast, so I did 1.25 times normal, which is perfect.

I noticed I probably paid more attention to the faster reading, plus it also sped up my walking speed (by about a minute), kind of like listening to fast music does.

It is interesting because it really does create an incentive to pay more attention.

The “Great Course” audiobook of the American Civil War is actually quite good.  I have avoided the “GreatCourses” because I tried one once which was as dry as dust, but this is interesting.  The Professor is an author of a number of books I have read already, and he knows how to keep it interesting.  (If you are interested in the Civil War that is!)

I will probably try a few more of the “Great Course” audio books, kind of mix it up.  

I figure if I listen at 1.25 times normal, I should be able to complete the 32 hour book in about 24 hours, more of less.  (I always go back a little bit when stop for the day so I can get some context the next morning.)

Eight hours might not sound like a lot, but for me it will be about 12 days of walking that I can be listening to something else.  

My newspaper is starting to arrive at 4:00 a.m. and the New York Times is now available 7 days a week!  Of course, that is about a week before I am moving.

Hopefully the early arrival of the paper will be available at our future house, it would really help with my exercise program.  

The YMCA I will be going to doesn’t open until 5 a.m., so I will need to restructure my time some if I intend to go in the early morning, or I may just not worry about it and go later in the day when I can swim when the swimming pool isn’t as busy.  I enjoyed my previous schedule.  

I do enjoy my walk through neighborhoods, even if it is the same route!  Bicycling is good if I have a regular schedule or I really enjoy just meandering around on my bike and going where the mood strikes.

I am seriously thinking of looking for a “pedal assist” bike, after the costs of the move etc. have the chance to straighten out.

I don’t really want an “electric” bike as such, I’d like one that has a battery that when the pedal resistance gets to a certain level (such as going up a  steep hill) it will kick in and help a little!  That is part of the fun of a bike, so I don’t want it to do all the work, but…..

Today I am probably going out on a “field day”.  I probably have enough paperwork to make it an “office day”, but I’ll see.  I don’t have anything pressing in the field, that sometimes that is when a “field day” can be especially valuable or interesting or both.  

I really meet some interesting people, a wide variety go into business for themselves.  Thinking about it, part of it is the career of the person, some jobs tend to lead to a business, some would never be their own business.  

Somehow the time is flying.  Already February 12, 2016!  I hate to sound like a broken record, but I think 2016 is moving faster than 2015!

Hopefully, after we are moved in (of course the actual move in will take a lot longer, but I am talking about when everything is basically in it’s intended place), things will slow down a bit.


That’s it for now, Friday, February 12, 2016.  

No comments: