Tuesday, February 02, 2016

2016 Winter February 2

2016 Winter February 2

48 degrees this morning.  No walk (rain)

Today marks 19 months since we moved to this area and 16 months in my current job.  Somehow, it seems a lot longer than that.  I don’t mean that in a negative sense, but I have a hard time believing it has only been that long, especially since our move.  

I still feel like I have have a lot to learn about my job, so it hasn’t seemed that long.  I am surprised and pleased that I found a job I like so much, and that is actually more than a job, but also an opportunity to help.  

Of course, I am very disappointed in the lack of planning and community design of the City.  They kowtow to commercial and apartments so much I am surprised there aren’t more lawsuits about the negative effects and the destruction of residential areas by allowing commercial businesses to build right next to exiting residential areas, including no lighting or noise pollution controls.

Speaking of current events, I am amazed that any state (nothing against Iowa) is allowed so much impact on the next President.  Of course the media hype is what is really to blame for that.  That is almost obscene that one state (or a small number of states) are allowed that much impact.  Hardly the way a true democracy would do things.

Heavy rain and lightning last night. A lot better than snow and ice! 

Only about two weeks from moving, assuming everything continues to go ok.  I am amazed by the onerous system of fees the industry has set up to basically victimize people who are buying a house.  They are worse than a cell phone company.  How they can blatantly charge such fees for non-work is almost theft.  

Either today or tomorrow I get a large number of my new accounts for the month.  It is always fun to anticipate what each account will bring.  I get a small number during the month, but the first of the month is when I get most of them.  

Each account has it own set of problems and personalities involved, and it frequently becomes almost like a puzzle trying to resolve everything. 

Just thinking about the number of e-mails I get each day.  I miss the old system when I could simply block many of the e-mails.  Many of them are “legitimate” e-mails, but still just junk I have absolutely no interest in.  It seems that many organizations or businesses feel “more is better” and “quantity is better than quality”.

While it is an advantage, the fact the e-mail addresses and cell phone numbers now go with you when you move etc. (for the most part) it is also a disadvantage that e-mail addresses and cell phone numbers go with you!  

Unlike the past, now I not only have junk promotional mail from “new” businesses and organizations, I still get them from where I lived years ago!  Even when I try to “unsubscribe”,  it is difficult, even when I explain I can’t use their service anymore.
It is actually a matter where the advertisers put the expense on you.  While it may not be money, it is time to delete the junk, which is even more valuable than money.  It doesn’t cost them anything to keep e-mailing junk mail to people, but it costs them to stop sending it!  

I know there are controls I can use, I need to just get busy and set them up, but again, it takes a lot of time to do so, time to find what works etc.  

I always feel a little ill at ease when I don’t walk in the morning.  It isn’t the exercise (I think) as much as the time to get ready for the  day, to be able to “think” without having to feel guilty about doing “nothing” but thinking!  


That’s it for now, Tuesday, February 2, 2016.

No comments: