Thursday, January 07, 2016

2016 Winter January 7 Thursday


41 degrees this morning no walk, rain, still some coughing 

“Automatic Spellcheck” is one technological advancement which sometimes creates more problems than it solves.  Frequently I look back over what I have written and it is a completely different word, sometimes that conveys a completely different meaning!  

I need to investigate more and see if I can set up “must approve change” or something like that, or just go back to the old way of running spell check after I am done.  

It is especially aggravating when it changes the spelling of someone’s name!  

At least it does make me go back and review what I wrote!  I still miss some, but the ones I catch sometimes would be embarrassing!  Or, sometimes the spell check “assumptions” as to what I meant that I miss are embarrassing!

Hopefully I can get back to walking soon.  The rain prevented it today (the mud on the streets from the construction make it impossible to walk after a rain), but my cough is still hanging on just enough to be a problem when I am out too much etc.  

Sometime I need to jot down how much time I spend on various activities during the day (reading the paper, on the computer etc. and decide what priorities I want with my time.  It still seems that there is  a lot more to do than I have time to do it!  There are just too many projects for the time available!  

Starting working the new accounts yesterday on a field day.  I enjoyed it, it is always interesting to meet new people and find entirely new situations I haven’t ran into before!  

Speaking of time, I am always surprised at how much time we spend in cars, just in our normal activities.  Self-driving cars that made that time productive would be an amazing increase in time available.  

Of course, cell phones seemed like a big time saver when they came out.  However, I think the amount of time on a cell phone, especially a “smart phone” has expanded to where it is a major time waster now!

We call back and forth, text etc. and sometimes I realize how relatively a short period of time we have had access to “smart phone” technology.

I believe I got my first cell phone in about 1993, so it has been over 20 years.  Of course, the coverage was spotty, it was expensive and at first the phones were big and bulky.   

The first iPhone was on June 29, 2007, so it has been less than 10 years since the first iPhone.  I probably got one two years later (the iPhone 3 came out in 2009), so I have only had one for six years.  It is difficult to think of life without one now!

I do remember looking at the iPhone Touch and seeing how intuitively it was, was immediately attached to it and thought why not have a phone with it!  

Of course, my first “smart phone” was a Blackberry, which I really thought was amazing, that I could get and send e-mail from anywhere!  

I try to picture how my granddaughters (or anyone less than 20, and especially those just being born) view life now, with computers, smart phones, the internet etc. and who knows what else!  It is really an entirely different world.  

Of course, you also have more terrorism, more crazies etc., cybercrime etc. to worry about, as well as rapid change in technology affecting their careers etc.  

I am already tired of winter weather and am starting to think of every day as “one day of winter at a time” as I start the countdown for Spring!  A little early for that, but at least I can think of every day as a day closer to Spring, it will be here soon!


That’s it for now, Thursday, January 7, 2016.

No comments: