Sunday, January 03, 2016

2016 Winter January 3 Sunday


Up at 3:35 a.m., 31 degrees at 4:13 a.m.  No walk (cough)

Tomorrow starts a full week of work and routine again.  I’m not sure when I will start walking again, but hopefully this week and then start swimming and biking again soon.  

It  has been a long cold/coughing spell.  I’m probably more concerned with my immediate reaction to coughing when I get into cold weather as much as anything, see if it continues.

I was surprised to read that Bill Gates (Microsoft) is a voracious reader and actually does a blog where he reviews books he reads.  Sometimes  I really wonder where people like him get time to read and then write a review.  I guess, like they say, you make time for what is important to you.  However, that only works to a certain point, since there are other priorities also.

The story actually was that whenever Bill Gates made favorable comments on a book, there was  a “bump” in sales for that book, which I guess is normal.  

I have never been a good book reviewer, I really don’t know why.  Just not one of my strengths, or I just never learned to do it.

Angela, my daughter, is a wonderful reviewer of books and movies.  When she was a child, we’d go to a move (one in particular, “Turtle Diary” sticks in my mind). I would fall asleep and Angela would give me a synopsis after the movie and I was always amazed that she was so good.  

Occasionally she reviews a book  or movie in writing and I am amazed at how good they are.  I encouraged her to pursue it, but you know how parental advice is! 

The oxygen machine actually is progressing fairly well.  I am getting more used to it and my “score” is improving.  The machine gives you some basic results and I also get a score from the internet.  

it has kind of a cell phone connection in it that it sends the results to my area of the internet and also the insurance company or at least the provider and they report to the insurance company.  (Similar to our alarm system, it isn’t a cell phone, but you don’t need a phone.)

I was surprised at how many young (in comparison to me) persons have to use the same type of machine.  Of course the Sleep Test diagnosis also said I should (or at least suggested) I see a dietitian about eating property so I can lose weight better, probably not a bad idea.   

The insurance company I had before tried do a lot of this by phone calls and the internet, and quite frankly, it was a good try, but it just didn’t work, at least for me or anyone else I knew who even bothered to try it.

Of course, I don’t know if seeing someone personally would work ether if all they do is shove some papers and internet sites at you and tell you to read them.  Somehow  that doesn’t work.
I think all it dose is allow someone somewhere to make some checkmarks and bill the insurance company a hefty sum!
I do need to use “My Fitness Pal” more.  It is good, it is just a pain to use, it doesn’t have a good search function, or worst yet, a decent “spell check” system.  I think if I really put my mind to it, I can make it work and it will be good for weight control. 

So many “looking back” and “what will happen in 2016” articles etc.  I am already tired of them.  

Journalism has significantly deteriorated in the past few years as the ethics of just “reporting” the news has changed to “making” the news and trying to change readers/viewers opinions by slanting the news.  My opinion anyway.  I miss the fair, unbiased reporting that was “news” and not sports or “celebrities”  that I could care less what they do or say.  I have always felt that way, not just age!

It will be interesting to see what 2016 brings.  I expect events will happen I couldn’t forecast in my wildest dreams!


That’s it for now, Sunday, January 3, 2016. 

No comments: