Tuesday, January 12, 2016

2016 Winter January 12 Tuesday


33 degrees (feels like 25) this morning, no walk.

After almost four weeks (December 17) of no overt exercise, I am starting to feel the effects of no exercise.  i probably should start doing my setups and weightlifting, if nothing else.  Of course, as part of my job I frequently do considerable walking, but it still isn’t anything like a regular routine.

Feeling a lot better this morning, hopefully I am getting close to getting over the coughing  It has been a long time.  

I have been reading up about bronchitis, planning to make sure I either never get it again, get it as little as possible or at least have a light a case as possible.  

it is great to start feeling better.  I forgot how good “normal” felt!  

Strange that when things are normal, it is so hard to stop and think, “I feel normal and is’t it great”!  Actually, i do think about how good it is to feel “normal”, but you really don’t realize how good it feels until you are sick for a period of time!  

The power of the internet in changing the world we live in has really been a vast cultural change.  

I was thinking of the first time we encountered “GPS” in a car, it was like magic, now it is something we simply expect.  

A tv show (60 Minutes) had a feature on death row inmates who had been released since they were wrongfully convicted and one of them spoke of the GPS, smart phones and other technological inventions he had to catch up on.  

I think it is one thing to live with inventions, or be born now so the advancements are part of everyday life.  Being like Rip Van Winkle, being out for 20 or 30 years and then suddenly seeing the change would be mind boggling.  Harder yet would be dealing with the changes and the changes in everyday life.  

I read the other day about a couple who packed up their furniture and lived for over a year in various places with a “home sharing” (or actually renting) app.  Their experiences varied from bad to good, but it is something you couldn’t have done (without a lot more planning and work) a few years ago.  

It will be interesting to watch the advancement of “Virtual Reality” as the first really advance headsets are sold.  I can see the value in training etc.  

Like anything, I wonder how people have the time for everything.  I read about “binge streaming” all of the programs on TV, movies, reading and the internet, video games etc. and wonder what people are giving up to do all of that?   Time is obviously limited and when you add something new, something currently existing has to either change or go.  

I know I struggle now with time, and I am hardly involved in a wide variety of activities.  Maybe I will keep track of how I spend my time.  I know I do spend a lot of time reading the newspaper, playing with the computer, etc., but figuring up what to give up is  a difficult decision, since everyone you do has some benefit for you.  

Of course, there are some things I just simply will do, such as exercise.  I may try be be more efficient or use time more wisely, but a minimum amount of exercise (walking, swimming, biking etc.) is something I simply am going to do, especially from what I have observed during my enforced leave from it!

Of course, it is nice to know I don’t necessarily have to work, but somehow I can’t imagine myself not working, and I currently really enjoy my current job  

Anyway, something to spend my time thinking about!


That’s it for now, Tuesday, January 22, 2016.

No comments: