Friday, January 29, 2016

2016 Winter January 29 Friday


45 degrees this morning, walk 30:00 minutes

I think this is the fist time I have walked for an even number of minutes to the second.  

First month of 2016 is completed (or will be this weekend) and I’m still writing “2015”!   (actually, sometimes I start with “19”!

Thinking about the 98 year old retirement age, and when I retire, I have to somewhat change my thoughts.  If I ever have to work in a  regular office again, I will retire rather than do that.  

Doesn’t mean I will retire, I will still do something, but life is too short (even with a retirement age of 98 years old!) to work in a regular office again.  Not saying I wouldn’t change my mind for the right situation, but, it would have to be something very attractive.

I am amazed how much more I get done in my home office.  

Not that the office doesn’t have good points.  I probably would learn a lot more if I was in a situation where I could casually ask questions etc.  

Anyway, I have been thinking about it, and i know very few people who have the physical capacity to work until they are 98 years old, which I guess may be the point!  If no one ever retires you can promise anything!  It is only when people actually collect on those wonderful promises when things get sticky!

One more thought on Walmart.  I don’t have any problem with Walmart shutting down the new “Walmart Express” concept.  That is an idea that apparently just didn’t work.

However, when they built a huge “super Walmart” or a Walmart 20 years ago,  ran everyone else out of business and than just shut down, I think that is a real problem with corporate ethics the they don’t help the community.  

They not only destroyed the economic (and frequently the cultural and social) fabric of the community they also are destroying the real estate market by leaving a huge  vacant store the usually can’t be used for anything else. 

It only seems they could do something to assist the communities in getting back on their feet.  Maybe I will write Walmart and offer my services in doing that!

One of my favorite songs, # 587 of 6544 tunes, Mumford & Sons, “I Will Wait (for you)” is playing now.  Without sounding sappy, it reminds me of something I told Aliene years ago (and still mean). The song wasn’t around then, but it reminded  me when I first heard it.

Speaking of Walmart, being “in the field” and working with businesses of all sizes, I am amazed at the courage and tenacity it takes to succeed as a small business person.  They literally put their heart and soul in it and still frequently fail. However, I also see a lot of successes or at least people who are doing what they want to do.

I find myself putting my hands up to touch the screen more and more as I get more used to using my work computer (actually a tablet) with a touchscreen.

Frankly, Apple is going to have to get a touch screen computer soon, or I will probably jump ship on my next laptop.  I don’t understand why they have been so backward on providing a touch screen. 

I might try the large Apple iPad, but doubt that it would really substitute for a laptop.  

Still waiting for information we need to determine what our plans will be (mundane things such as where we will be living on February 18!)  Plan on getting information on this today, so if we need to make some decisions, we can start making them. 

Glad it is Friday, for a number of reasons.  I enjoy my work, but I also enjoy the weekends!

Happy Birthday to my “home state” of Kansas.  Today is Kansas Day. 


That’s it for now, Friday, January 29, 2016.

No comments: