Saturday, January 30, 2016

2016 Winter January 30 Saturday


44 degrees this morning, walk 36:11 miles 

Warmer this morning, hopefully will be a warmer day up to high 60’s.  I figure each day of not having winter weather is one more day towards Spring!  

Walked a little further this morning, gradually increasing my distance to back to where it was.  I forgot to stop the stopwatch this morning, so my walking time is somewhat estimated, although I realized I had forgotten shortly after I got into the house.

In reality, there is only one more really bad month of winter left.  Although March can have bad winter weather, it usually isn’t that bad.  Of course, then the tornados and rains of spring  come!

Still thinking of the “retirement” age question.  I think, it would would be more realistic and say 1940 is the starting point for “65 year retirement age” and then, since life expectancy increases approximately 24 months for every 10 years, gradually increase the retirement age 2 years every 10 years.

With that concept the retirement age would be  (or have been) 67 by 1960, 69 by 1970, 71by 1980, 73 by 1990, 75 by 2000, 77 by 2010 and 79 by 2020.  A retirement age of 98 is quite a stretch.  

Of course, I think in order to maintain such a retirement age, Medicare etc. would still be required at age 65 (or some sort of health insurance).  

Listening to the biography of Wilson, (with hindsight), I can see how the arrogance, greed and ignorance of the “leaders” after WWI set the basis for WWII, and even terrorism as we know it today.  

Just like businesses, short-sighted goals can have very negative long-term consequences.  

Of course, it is hard to say that “this led to that”, but if Wilson had been able to set up the League of Nations, if some of the boundaries of the countries had been established with more consideration etc, I think it may have made a lot of difference.  

Somehow, after WWII, the people involved seemed to have more sense.

The “leaders” after WWI kind of reminds of corporations today, short term thinking at the expense of future shareholders. 

Many of the “activist investors” today are nothing but greedy pigs who are profiting short term at the expense of the future shareholders, but then, why should they care if they can get away with it?

It seems like at some point the pigs would decide they had enough money, but I guess that is why they are such greedy pigs.  

It looks like things are on track for us to move in February to another house, selling this one and purchasing another one, hopefully on the same day.

We will probably need to move out one day and move in the next, which will not be any fun.  I hope we don’t move for a long time after this, I am tired of always being in the moving stage.  

Of course, you always worry about moving to another house, concerns about something being wrong with the house or neighborhood, having noisy neighbors etc.  

Almost over my coughing spells and I really hope I can make it the rest of the winter without any colds etc.  

I did increase my walk a little this morning, although not to the full distance I did before I got sick.  It actually is working fairly well to just gradually increase the distance.  I will be even more glad to get back to swimming and bicycling, although I may need wait on that until after we move.  

It will be good to get back to living and not be thinking about packing and moving all the time.  


That’s it for now, Saturday,January 30, 2016..

No comments: