Friday, January 15, 2016

2016 Winter January 15 Friday



40 degrees this morning (feels like 30 degrees), no walk

Apparently psychologically I am getting ready to walk again.  I don’t want to take a chance and start again too early and find myself back to coughing a lot again.  

However, I am starting to wake up at the time I always walk.  

For the past few weeks, it has been easy to sleep more knowing I will probably be better if I sleep or at least stay in bed longer.  Now, I can’t sleep more and am ready to get up at my normal time.  Still a little early (still coughing), but it shouldn’t be long.  I sure don’t want to get this again and not be able to exercise for a month again!

Still getting rather disgusted with “spell check” and some of the seemingly random words it suddenly decides to insert!  I guess it is like a “self driving car”, I can depend on it to do a lot of the heavy lifting, but I can’t not be alert!

Read that the ‘self driving car” will be here earlier than many people expect.  I think the increase in productivity will be tremendous!

Or perhaps, I should say the increase in available time, not productivity, they certainly aren’t the same thing!  

The other day I went into an office (I own’t say where to protect the guilty!) and literally everyone was looking at a smart phone! It is not that unusual that that happens and I go into a lot of different kinds of offices.   I have to wonder, what to people have to say to each other?  

Of course, I look at my smart phone  only for important information!:)

However, just looking at me, even with no commute.  On days I am “in the field”, I probably spend an hour driving and several hours just catching up on paperwork in my car.  

At work, we have a mobile computer and after a visit we update the computer, which is a considerable amount of time.  With a self-driving car, I could update the paperwork between visits rather than just parking, frequently with the engine running. (or finding a McDonalds or Starbucks to do my paperwork while I suck down some coffee). If you had a long commute the time savings would be tremendous.  

I wouldn’t doubt that a “self driving car” would have almost as much impact as smart phones and maybe even the internet.  

Considering the still considerable amount of “dark” areas with no cell phone or GPS coverage, I have to wonder how it will ever be something long-haul truckers or people on long trips could use.  It could require a massive investment to make sure there were no “dark areas” where the “driverless car” would suddenly become a “dumb car” just like a “smart phone” becomes a “dumb phone” when it loses coverage

The driverless car technically could cause the loss of a lot of jobs in the transportation industry, but it seems it would be a long time before a true “driverless” car/truck/bus would be available unless it was on a separate lane. It would still require some type of driver plus security etc.

It is like many inventions that now it seems like everyone is working on a “driverless car”.  

Of course, when I was a child, I never thought I wouldn’t be using a driverless vehicle by now, rather than basically the same basic concept (although much advanced) for over 100 years  We are still driving the “horseless cart”!

Just read about Lakealnd, Tennessee where the governing  board extended their own terms by 14 months by changing the election date.  It is hard to observe the destruction of the city (Lakeland) where I used to live by the current group of incompetents and spoiled brats, so I probably will quit reading about it, since I can’t do anything about it.  It is a sorrowful end to spending 13 years of my life and career in trying to make a better city now in the hands of such a group.  Be careful who you vote for!  Probably kind of like raising a child and than seeing them become a criminal.  (Fortunately I haven’t had that experience!)


That’s it for now, Friday, January 15, 2016.

No comments: