Thursday, January 14, 2016

2016 Winter January 14 Thursday


36 degrees (feels like 28 degrees), no walk 

Very close to starting my exercise, at least a limited exercise, program again.  I have some appointments today I didn’t want take any chance of a relapse, plus I figure by now, one more day won’t make any difference in my physical fitness.  

I’m not coughing much as such, but my throat has “reminder” of coughing as I say.  Maybe not tomorrow, but by this weekend, I should be able to start walking again.  
Swimming and bicycling will have to wait a little longer.  

Actually where we are moving to (and a major reason why we are moving) will have bike trails and streets more suitable for a  decent bike ride.  I may get more training in hills, but that is good.  It may even lead to an “assisted peddling” bike when things settle down financially.  

Again, I am always amazed (or maybe surprised, or maybe thoughtful) about the disparity in the way money is viewed.  Considering the amount of money on fees etc. associated with buying or selling a house, a bicycle (or anything you want and will use that is more then just a trivial sum of moneyI).

For example, I hear all the time, “just another $100 per month” (example only, could be $20 or $200).  Well, $100 per month will buy a darn fine bicycle the will last years!  Or anything else that Aliene or I would actually want and use.  

However, when dealing with houses, cars, etc. it is passed off as a trivial amount, “just another $200 per month” (yawnI)  (most of it fees of course).

It was kind of a shock to realize how much our taxes will be, but I also feel the taxes are somewhat of  an investment in our community and value of our house.  I, probably as much as anyone, know how much it takes to keep a city operating smoothly, and I can’t even imagine what it costs to operate a school system.  

While we won’t directly benefit (well, actually we will) from the outstanding school system in that area) it is good to know the area believes in supporting an excellent school system, as well as maintaining residential (and commercial) value by not allowing video signs and a strong belief in protective zoning to protect residential areas while providing for quality commercial areas.  

I am so glad to get away from this city’s policy of allowing anyone to slap down a bunch of concrete and put up  low end commercial, throw up huge video signs that destroy a neighborhood etc.

Also, the City we are moving too (which actually is only about 4 miles from our current house, but a million miles in terms of enlightened zoning and quality residential development) also believes in community and regional parks and not just the developer building a community center and some cheap playground equipment on some junk land that is then required to be maintained by the HOA.

Not to say they are perfect, but at least our new city is making (or has made) strides providing for a better residential quality of life.

Actually, I deeply resent the despicable policy of this city in allowing commercial interests to destroy the residential areas.  It is costing us a lot of money to get out, but we feel better now than later.

I obviously will be active in the new city in trying to ensure the policies of the city continue.  If the deal (or deals) falls through and we have to stay here, I plan on becoming very active in expressing my displeasure at the policies of the city and the negative effects it has on residential living.  

I guess I am displaying “if you don’t love it, leave it” action, although that isn’t quite right.  It is more of a surrender to the power of the commercial and residential developers and the complete irresponsibility of this city’s leaders and administrators and planners in their responsibility to provide and protect it’s residents. 

they don’t seem to realize without providing for their residential areas, the city will never be a great city no matter how much money they throw at commercial and “economic” development.  It will always be a backwater town that is exploited by developers and other con artists.


That’s it for now, Thursday, January 14, 2016.

No comments: