Tuesday, January 26, 2016

2016 Winter January 26 Tuesday


31 degrees this morning.  Walk 29:44 minutes 

I am still thinking about the thought that if, if the retirement had been adjusted for the “increased life expectancy” since 65 years of age was designated the “retirement age”, the retirement age would now by 98 years of age!  

That would mean I would just be reaching middle age and probably just starting the “prime” of my working life!  

I actually can see that.  A lot of time, effort and money is spent in training us for careers.  While it may sound somewhat self-promoting, I have definitely seen the positive aspect of “experience”.  Experience helps you avoid a lot of mistakes!

I think the idea of 98 years old as “normal” retirement would be hard to imagine in reality.  While many people in their nineties (and I have read/heard of ninety+ people  that still work daily), I can’t imagine a lot of people in their nineties  going to a full-time job and really being productive, unless (and this could happen) career expectations change.

That could be where robots, self-driving cars etc. could play a major role.  Many people would like to work and are simply unable to handle all of the tasks.

Robots could handle many of the mundane/heavy  tasks.  For example, for the many people with bad backs etc., robots could lift items, bend over to pick up items etc. while the person involved used their brain power in more important tasks.

Thinking about it, I think maybe expecting a robot to perform all of the functions of a job shouldn’t be our goal.  

Our goal should be to use robots and technology to augment people and support them by doing the tasks the person can’t do and allow the human beans to maximize the areas they are best in.  

I remember a book that advised you should not worry about your weak areas, and concentrate on improving the areas you are good in.  I always thought that, within reason, that is an excellent concept. 

I think even the Bible emphasizes using your talents you have to their maximum extent is the right thing to do.  

I am well aware of the type of things I can’t do, for whatever reason, and, quite frankly, I don’t worry about not doing those things.  I just find someone else whose expertise is strong where i am weak and both of us are somewhat happy!

Robots and technology would be perfect ways for persons to extend their working careers or enhance their careers at any age by using them to perform the tasks we are weak in  and also perform tasks that persons can no longer physically (or mentally) preform.  

Thinking about it, i think the concept of 98 being the retirement age does not allow for the variety of illnesses that affect older people, primarily because they are living longer since many diseases are either no longer a threat, or are cured, or at least the life-threatening extent is minimized. 

On the other hand, when you consider the family and volunteer roles many older persons perform, perhaps we should re-conceptualize retirement to include “working” as the family and volunteer roles many “retired” persons perform.

To our surprise we didn’t hear anything about the housing selling/purchasing yesterday.  Maybe today.

Still have an occasional coughing spell.  I will be so glad when it is over!


That’s it for now, Tuesday, January 26, 2016. 

No comments: