Monday, January 25, 2016

2016 Winter January 25 Monday



53 degrees his morning.  Walk 29:53 minutes. 

Started walking a longer walk this morning, hoping to get back into all of my exercise again.  Hopefully can start swimming again soon.  

Glad to see warmer weather return, even if it is still coolish.  Supposed to reach the 60’s and 70’s today!

Just heard a statistic the 2/3’s of all the people who have lived past 65 years of age are alive today!  We are blazing a new trail!

Also heard the statistic that if we retired using the same criteria (the average life span was 45 years when the 65 year old retirement age was selected) the retirement age now would be 97 years old!  

Most people consider “old age” starts at 80 years of age now!  

This is based on a podcast from about 7 years ago, so these statistics might b slightly off by now.

Of course, that is based on  current knowledge of history!

While of course I realized that the life span has increased (as I may have mentioned before, I am now the average “lifespan” when I was born, and it is now a lot longer).  

Of course statistics don’t really mean much when the micro applies to you!

It is rather amazing to think that for the most of human history, few actually “retired”, at least in the current sense.  I have always, at least subconsciously, thought that was the normal cycle oe life.

The same podcast mentioned that for every decade (that is from 2000 to 2010), the average lifespan increases 2 1/2 years!

In theory, I like podcasts.  However, the problem comes when you have a boring segment and you have to to figure how to fast forward through it.  Also, it comes back to a matter of “time” again.  

I really wonder who has the time watch all of the shows mentioned, read the books etc.  I really don’t believe one person does all of that, but even when I hear about the shows etc. that people profess to watch, how do they have time to do it?  Ditto with video games etc.

Speaking of the gouging of people by sports, I recently read that ESPN  paid the NBA (pro basketball) 24  billion dollars nine years of rights to televise a certain number of games.  (I understand other networks are also paying obscene amounts to televise them also.)

Of course, since I never watch NBA games (i think they are boring to say the least), I will be gouged by ESPN fees to cable tv  for something I never watch, pay higher prices for products that pay obscene amounts for advertising on ESPN NBA games etc.  

Now I read where ESPN wants to “take over” Saturday with NBA basketball (apparently because now they have to justify the money etc.).  I don’t think so.  They appear are more egomaniac than they appear. 

I also read something about how ESPN decided they were gong to “change New Year Eve” by televising the “college football championship” on New Year Eve.

I doubt the they changed all that much, I really wonder why they would care about “changing New Year Eve”
I really wonder who makes all of these decisions.  

If ESPN took the normal risks of such stupid decisions that would be one thing.  But they are “protected” by the FCC and can change cable tv basically whatever they want, so my only choice to “cut the cord” to avoid paying for something I absolutely have no interest in.  

Start of a new week, already the last week of January 2016!  I can’t believe how fast it flies.

We should learn today if everything is proceeding well on our selling our house/purchasing another house, last least several major points.

One if the appraisal of our house.  Of course, it will be the result of he appraiser throwing a bunch of numbers in a computer program, which may or may not even come close to the correct actual figure because they are scared by government regulations from using any judgement.  

It appears like they would just put the figures in without even using an appraiser and avoid the $490 appraisal fee.  Of course that would be too reasonable and would eliminate one more fee!


That’s it for now, Monday, January 25, 2016.  

No comments: