Monday, January 11, 2016

2016 Winter January 11 Monday

2016 Winter January 11 Monday

30 degrees this morning (feels like 20 degrees), no walk, still coughing and recovering from stomach virus

Rather a surreal world as I slept the last few days more than I have for a long time, apparently in an attempt to recover from the stomach virus I had Friday.  It is a strange feeling to be relatively ok, but just not feel quite “right” and feel tired all the time.  

I am more than ready for it to be over to say the least!  While I don’t really want to dwell on it, the power of a virus etc. is amazing in how it can bring you down.  

I think the major effect is just how I don’t seem to  get anything done. 

Anyway, it is nice to be on the road to recovery.  I will be very glad when I can start exercising again.  Might also be nice when I can start eating regular food again also, as I have been carefully watching what I eat since I got the stomach virus.  

Just thinking it is already January 11, which means a third of the first month of 2016 is already over!  

It is always interesting to watch the psychology of Powerball and related lotteries.  it seems strange that people won’t buy tickets for “only” 35 million dollars  when technically you probably have more of a chance of winning than when the total is in the hundreds of millions.  

Actually, I don’t know if you technically have more of a chance of winning or not, maybe the odds are the same, since there is one winning number in a universe of all numbers that can be picked.

The psychology of crowds, etc. has always interested me, how an idea can sudden pass like the wind.  

Years ago, in a town I won’t mention, there were rumors of a truckers strike.  Within hours, you couldn’t find any great or milk on the grocery shelves as people reacted by buying way more bread and milk than they could use as an irrational fear spread.  It was just like everything vanished.  

Of course, there never was a shortage and people probably were throwing bread and milk and other food away.  

What was strange was the overall psychology, it wasn’t like anyone really said “go out and buy”, it was almost like something in the air.  

I have noted the same thing as short term irrational beliefs pass through an area, seeming to almost infect people.  

Of course, that is one thing politicians (and businesses) thrive on, using rumors and half-truths to inspire action irrational or otherwise.  

Not that I don’t fall victim to such actions myself, even when I absolutely know better.  I think there is always a “better safe than sorry” similar to the thinking that it really doesn’t do any harm to “knock on wood”, etc.

Of course, you see it every day in the stock market, bidding on “scarce” items on bidding websites etc. 

Although I do understand that much of the “psychology” on the stock market may be computerized algorithms that spot what they think is a trend and then make it into a panic.  Computers aren’t immune to panics and rumors either!


That’s it for now, Monday, January 11, 2016.

No comments: