Wednesday, August 05, 2015

Summer 2015 August 5 Wednesday (Happy Birthday Mary Anne and John)


78 degrees this morning.  Walk 39:06 minutes 

My older brother and sister were born exactly one year apart on this date!  I came along 3 years later, a day late.  May have set a pattern!  

We used to celebrate all of our birthdays together by going swimming and having a picnic etc.  if my memory is correct.

We’d go swimming the huge (in my memory) swimming pool and building built by the CCC.  It is still being used as a swimming pool.  

I have a strong belief in the value of “infrastructure”, which I won’t go into further right now, but think of where we would be without the interstate system, railroad system, airports, etc., including the internet.

By the way, Al Gore DID play an important role in the development of the internet as we know it today. He may not have invented it, but it could have been a lot less valuable if it weren’t for his efforts.

Back to important events, I wore my new shoes and “performance” socks today.  I have to say, I can definitely feel the difference from the shoes (I noticed I even walked faster and definitely have more of a “spring” in my feet and, although this is just the second day, my feet and knees feel much better)!  And this is even after wearing a good quality shoe for the past 8 months! 

The shoes are definitely worth the money, in fact, more than worth the money.  Probably I will save a lot more than what the shoes cost (and future such shoes every 7 or 8 months) than the doctor bills and medical bills!

The socks are more subtle.  When I first put them on, I could feel they were lighter (they have  very understated mesh over the top of the foot and the top of the sock) which is cooler and it wasn’t until I almost finished my walk I realized how nice they were.

I actually have relatively good quality socks already, and I cycle through about 20 pairs of socks, so I don’t really use one pair that much.  

However, these socks definitely fit better and may provide more of a support for my feet.  If they don’t “ball up” , they will be worth it.  

The socks have a “lifetime” guarantee for “the life of the sock”  I was trying to figure out what the “lifetime of a sock” is, which, from my  research, really is “my” lifetime, not the lifetime of a sock.  Of course, they probably figure I will lose the sock long before it wears out.  

I was surprised at the number of socks with a “lifetime” guarantee, which appear to be for the lifetime of the owner and not some stated “lifetime” of the sock.  

The joys of a manufacturer which stands behind their product and takes pride in making a decent product!
Although I made my work slightly shorter, it does appear I am walking faster.  I want to start a map that shows the distance I walk each day, maybe I can start a virtual “walk with the Summer’”.  Actually, the bike would show a lot more progress on a map, and I could do a virtual “ride with the summer” from the south boundary of Texas to the north boundary of North Dakota.  (I was rather shocked to realize I didn’t know how to spell “Dakota”!)

There must be an app for that!  (Mapping a walk or ride, I know there is apps for spelling!)

Weather is excellent this morning, a wonderful morning on the patio.  I think I will grab an air mattress and take my nap out here this morning!


That’s it for now, Wednesday, August 5, 2015.   

No comments: