Saturday, August 29, 2015

Summer 2015 August 29 Saturday



73 degrees this morning, no walk due to sinus infection.  

Went to the Doctor (actually a minor emergency center or “convenient care” as they term it).

“Sinus infection” was  the diagnosis and I was given some medicine to help clear it up.  Even after looking it up on the internet, I’m not really sure what it is, or more important, how to prevent it in the future, except get worried if I have any “post nasal drip”.

The coughing is almost gone, I had a coughing fit during the night and am coughing a little this morning, but nothing like I was yesterday.  Hopefully it will clear up completely today.

As usual, I found the most powerful medicine was the most inexpensive.  I realize a lot of factors go into the cost of medicine, but the pricing is bewildering.  Thank goodness for insurance.  

I am more than ready to get back into my routine of walking, swimming etc, but expect it will be a few days.  I definitely want to get over this, whatever it may be.  

Noticed yesterday while in the waiting room, literally everyone was looking at their phones and the facility had easy to connect free wi fi.  

I also noticed, unlike the old waiting rooms with it’s masses of old magazines, there were almost no magazines etc. laying around, as I assume no one reads them any more. 

What a difference a few years have made!  I use my phone for communication (texting and phone and ways of communication we didn’t even think of), as a convenient camera, a flashlight, alarm clock, map,  timer, news, reminder, calendar, and now I even read most of my magazines off of it and a myriad of other uses.  i even was standing in line the other day and made a stock trade in my retirement account.  (I don’t recall what it was, but I probably regret it now, it was before the past week.)  

For example yesterday we were asked for our medications and we both pulled out our phones and bought our medicine list up and made any necessary updates.  

Another big factor is the storage of photos or at least the access to photos, literally to any phone you have ever taken, at least that is digitalized  

I think the only thing to regret (except that I don’t know more about some of the functions) is that it makes you rely on someone else, if the power goes off or if the internet is cut off you are truly cut off.  

Of course, there is also he loss of privacy.  Based on the ads I get that is a lost cause. Actually both for them and me.   I really don’t think anyone really cares that much about my private information (except for advertisers and me) but it is scary that there is so much information that can be accessed and misused.  

Also, I think e-mail, and I know texting, has changed the language so much that when it is reviewed in the cold hard history of six months, a year or even five years, what you said isn’t reviewed in the context of where you were, it is reviewed in the context of today and whatever anyone is trying to prove about you.  Personally this is a not of concern, but I feel for the people, especially people who may  be going through the “stages” of growth, whether it is from a teenager to adult etc.  who may make statements they regret later and which, probably for the first time in history, anything about anyone is out there and you may be judged by it, not in the context of the moment, but now.  

Based on the last two days, I am so glad for decent “sick leave” etc. in my job.  There is no way I could even work in my home office (I couldn't talk on the phone)  and I definitely know no one wanted to be around me!  

In writing this and reviewing it, I have noted that “spell check” is almost worse than no spell check anymore.  That has not improved since the original spell check of the original Word, Word Perfect and Leading Edge word processors. 

I frequently find “spell check” has changed my wording to something that frequently may  be almost contradictory to what I actually said, so I have to spend a lot of time reviewing for these “errors” and they are easy to miss.  


That’s it for now, Saturday, August 29, 2015.   

No comments: