Thursday, August 20, 2015

Summer 2015 August 20 Thursday (Happy Birthday Katherine!:)



56 degrees this morning, 38:32 minute walk

Happy 13th Birthday to Katherine today!  13 has always been a big birthday (you’re a teenager!), but now you can also get a (legal) Facebook page!  I asked Katherine to be sure to “friend” me on Facebook!  

I can’t wait to see what will be on her Facebook page!  She is definitely her own personality and a lot of fun.  Again, have a really Happy Birthday!

56 degrees this morning!  I can’t believe I am actually sitting out on my patio in my usual place writing this!  Of course, if there was any wind I definitely wouldn’t be here!  

I wore my long sleeve “breathing” shirt and long sleeve jersey this morning for my walk, which felt fine.  I can’t give up on shorts yet, so I wore my shorts.  I was plenty warm, but again, there was no wind.

It is funny how you tend to stretch the seasons.  I normally can’t switch to my “summer” workout clothes (shorts and t-shirt) until it reaches the high sixties or even low seventies in temperature, but when it is Fall going into winter, I stretch wearing summer exercise clothes down to the low forties until I bundle up again!

Ditto on shirts etc. for regular wear, I wear my long-sleeve shirts too long into the Summer and my short-sleeve shirts (and no coat) too long into the Fall/Winter.

I am not looking forward to the long cold Winter, even thought we have a “mild” Winter here, it still just seems to grind on forever.

This year, I really am going to escape to someplace warm (no someplace HOT!) for at least a weekend in February or so.  The Winter just seems to last forever once it starts and it usually doesn’t “really” warm up until late May, whether it was here or in Memphis.

Went to a minor league (AAA) ballgame last night.  Probably had my last foot long corn dog of the season!  

It was fun, we left after 10 innings (and watched the 11th inning as we walked out).  I turn into a pumpkin (or something like that) at 10:30 p.m. or so, although I continue to function (I think).

I was pleased to learn that “our” team won in the bottom of the 15th inning on a “walk off” home run by our favorite baseball player, Darwin Barney.  

We watched (on tv) him play for with Cubs for several years with one of the best infields in the MLB.  He was one of our favorites then and we  were amazed that we would actually see him play for a minor league team, even AAA.  Of course, he is 30 years old, I understand the feeling although the circumstances are certainly different!  

I have probably heard the words “walk off” home run, single etc. but I never really knew what it meant until I looked it up.  (It means what it says, “you hit a home run, single etc. and “walk off”!  Amazing when you think about it!
Same thing with a “crooked number”  (any number but 1 if you think about it!).  It is so obvious that I didn’t realize what it was until it was explained to me!  Thank goodness for the internet!

In the enjoyment of the extra inning ballgame, I lost an hour of sleep, which is important to me.  I was surprised when I woke up at the normal time this morning, since normally if I go to bed later, I sleep an equal amount later.  (almost always 4 1/2 hours).  

Of course, that doesn’t count the naps I take, which probably add another hour or so by the end of the day.  Fortunately a short nap of even just closing my eyes, but normally 10 minutes or so, completely restores me. I am heading for my 30 minute nap right now and then I take a ten minute nap after breakfast. 

It works, what can I say, although I am going to have a “sleep study” (at home) next week, so more on that another day.


That’s it for now, Thursday, August 20, 2015 and a big Happy 13th Birthday to Katherine! 

No comments: