Monday, August 17, 2015

Summer 2015 August 17 Monday



78 degrees this morning, 38:23 minute walk

The weather forecast is for a low of 55 degrees Wednesday!  If that happens (and it will probably be about the low while I walk), it will be a real shock to my system!  

The miles gather on my  shoes.  It has always bemused me to think about how something “new” becomes “old”.  A new car suddenly (or gradually) becomes an “old” car at some point.  I never know if that is 1, 2 , 3 or even 4 or 5 years, especially with the more reliable cars.  Maybe it is mileage, although with cars easily going 200,000 miles and much more it is hard to say that a car with 40,000 miles is an “old” car.  

Of course, the walking shoes are a little different.  According to “experts”, walking shoes become “old” and even dangerous after 300 to 500 miles, which doesn’t take that long if you walk.  

For some reason, the shoes I bought (about $30 more tan the “cheaper” shoes are supposed be good for an extra 200 miles.  If the life of a walking/running shoe is really 300 miles, an extra 200 miles for $30 is a real bargain.  I figure the first 300 miles are about .50 per mile and the next 200 miles are free, or very roughly, .33 per mile.  The cheaper shoes, if they will go 300 miles, about .40 per mile, assuming my math is correct.  

Of course, I also get a reasonably good looking and in condition looking shoes to wear for casual wear for years, so that is simply a bonus.  It is also a burden as the years go by and I need to find  a place for all of the old shoes.  

I used to wear them out, but that created foot problems, which really doesn’t make any sense.

Of course, the major advantage is that the more expensive shoes (in this case at least) feel much better than the “cheaper” (but still excellent feeling) shoes, so you could say the value of of the shoes is “priceless” if you consider the real value of a pair of shoes that are comfortable to walk in.  

Anyway, I’m glad I didn’t do all of this before I bought them!  

Such are the thoughts I have while walking in the morning!

I am listening to “Outlaw Platoon” about a Platoon that was sent to Afghanistan (yes, I had to look up how to spell it!)  I just started it yesterday morning, so am just getting into it, but the writer was musing about how a year before the action he describes, his biggest worry in life was getting to class on time.  

At the time, he was in charge of about 40 U.S. soldiers and other Afghanistan troops and every decision he made could be a life or death decision.  A real change in roles.

I always wonder how such situations change you in the future.  For years, I was always “on call” for possible decisions that may not have been “life or death”, but they were decisions that could cost or save money and affect residents or employees.  Now, after my work is done, it is done.  
Actually, I still don’t know how I feel about that.  The present is the present.  

Baseball season is almost over, at least the minor league baseball team we have tickets too.  We have enjoyed it and have a large number of games in the last two weeks (actually this week and the first week in September) as we scramble to use all of our tickets of our “half-season” tickets.  

One of the features of the tickets is an “all you can eat and drink” feature, which is both good and bad.  It is typically baseball food (hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken breast, cheese, chicken tenders, popcorn, peanuts, M & M’s  etc.)  Fortunately it includes drinks so I can have all the coffee and water I want, which is wonderful!  We have learned to moderate our impulse to eat junk food, but the temptation is always there.  I have discovered a special liking for “chicken tenders”, which is fortunately limited to baseball games (and very limited there)  as it is not something I would want to eat (health wise) on a regular basis.  

Monday again, the weekend is over!  Between baseball and my WordPress classes this is going to be a busy week!


That’s it for now, Monday, August 17, 2015.  

No comments: