Friday, June 27, 2014

Summer 2014 June 27 Friday (Occupy Day!)

77 degrees this morning.  

Temporarily not walking early in the morning (until we move into the house).  I can feel the lack of routine exercise.  I still get some later, but it's to the same as getting up and walking, listening to my book, riding my bike and then reading the daily newspapers while I ride the stationary bike.  

Actually, I just found out the New York Times is not delivered to my new house, so I will sorely miss it.  I can still get it on the internet, although it is hardly the same.  At least the New York Times has the best web paper alternatives (other than their digital replica, which is unreadable).  They have some "web enabled" formats which actually work fairly well.  The Wall Street Journal does well on the iPad format, but I really don't like the computer format.

I may get some exercise equipment and just work out at home.  We will have the space, and it will save some hassle, although I like "commuting" on my bike.  Oddly enough, there is a 24 hour fitness center almost exactly the same distance from my new house as the ATC Fitness Center was in Lakeland, so I could easily ride my bike to the gym every morning (assuming there roads are ok.  I can ride neighborhood roads most of the way, but there is a short distance on a main road). 

My sleep has become very erratic, probably due to the lack of routine exercise and living in temporary living conditions.  I have started waking up at 1:44 a.m. every morning.  This (Friday) morning, I finally went ahead and got up at 2:00 a.m..  Fortunately, I have plenty to do and I can nap later if needed.  For example, this mooring i read e-mail, Facebook, research insurance alternatives for our new place (we have to change our insurance when we move from Tennessee), researched our new area for various businesses, read the on-line New York Times and Wall Street Journal etc.  (I miss the Commerical Appeal, which has an excellent-acutally the best-digital replica newspaper, but I feel I simply can't spend the time on it.)

Friday nights will be difficult due to the change of a routine that I believe we had for at least seven years, with some  good friends.  We would go out to eat and then play table or card games and talk about everything, but most of all enjoy our discussions.  We didn't do it every Friday, just when we could get together but we always reserved Friday when possible.  Tonight we are going to somewhat of a family gathering.

We plan to stay in our new house starting tonight, even though we have no furniture (there than an excellent air mattress), no tv, no phone, no internet (the worst of the "no's")  no cooking utensils etc.  (Family members haver offered to lend temporary furniture and small appliances).  I am rethinking that, it may be worth the money to stay in a hotel. 

 Thinking of going without internet is kind of like thinking about hearing fingernails on a chalkboard.  What am I going to do when I wake up at 2:00 a.m.? I figure we can stand anything for 6 nights.

I am "smart phone dependent".  I was thinking, it is my only source of communication, my flashlight, my e-mail reader, my navigation system, my dictionary, my "yellow pages" and about everything else you can think of.  In my case, I carry my id and major credit card in the smart phone case, so I am usually always aware of where my smart phone is.  

Someone mentioned I hadn't mentioned anything about  our new house.  Right, I haven't. The people who need to know, know, and the people I want to know will know. Sometimes it is nice to be  part of the anonymous crowd.


That's it for now, Friday, June 27, 2014.

No comments: