Thursday, June 26, 2014

Summer 2014 June 26 Thursday (A New House, A New Journey)

72 degrees this morning.  

Big news is we signed a lease on a house and  will "move in" this Friday (our household goods are coming  next week, so it will be sparse living for a few days, no internet, no tv etc.).

Signing the lease marks a commitment to our journey here.  In a break from the past I have decided not to subscribe to the local paper, at least not for awhile.  I will continue the WSJ and NYT, but will get local news from the internet and a local weekly paper.  While I loved the Commercial Appeal, I was spending too much of my time avoiding the stories on local crime, social news etc.  I usually avoided reading it but the lack of coverage for the Lakeland helped me realize that, while it is interesting, I really don't need to read a local daily paper anymore.  I may well change my mind as I get involved in the community.  

Actually, I used to get "involved" in the local community even when I was visiting a city for just several days.  I'd start following the local paper, local politics etc. and then when I left I was always surprised when I realized it wasn't news anywhere else.  I expect I will resume following local politics and getting involved, it just depends on which city and level of government I will become involved in. 

Today marks the 7th month "anniversary" of my leaving Lakeland.  It has been a strange journey, to say the least.  I still like the following quote:

"Now I was free to do as I wished, but I found the freedom illusory, for what I wished for had been taken from me. They say, Find a purpose in life and live it.  But, sometimes, it is only after you have lived that you recognize your life had a purpose, and likely one you never had in mind". (From "And the Mountains Echoed".)

Those words really struck home to me.  For over 25 years I had been always "busy", knowing that I could work 24 hours a day and still not catch up.  Suddenly, overnight, I had "time" to do anything i wanted, but it was an illusion.  My list of books to read, projects etc. continue to be long, I continue to be busy (thank goodness), although my priorities have certainly changed.  I expect some basic beliefs on local government have changed. 

On the other hand, I have had time to go to a conference in China, which I would not have had time to do if I was working.  The journey to China was a true journey of both the physical, the psychological and social.  I think the view I was able to have of the Chinese people changed some basic perspectives, thoughts and beliefs and I am still sorting through how the experience has changed me.  I think I don't feel like life is "normal" without a job and when I return to work I will realize the full impact of the Chinese journey.   I really do want to return at some time in the future and visit China again.  

It could be that i should use this time to alter my journey, I do plan on starting to work "full time" as a consultant and be open to new ideas and projects if I don't have a full time job soon.  It is easy to say "as soon as the move is done I'll get started etc", which can be a real trap, because then it will be "as soon as....."  (whatever it may be).  i need to jump into the water and not put it off, although I am waiting for a decision on a nearby position that I feel is a good possibility.  I have been preparing, but, like many of Lincoln's Generals, I need to "stop planning and start fighting!"

Back to our new house, it has space for a dedicated office, so that will be good.  I probably need to start working in an area away form my easy chair and just concentrate on working and making contacts.  There will be some weeks of "unpacking", sorting, putting furniture up in the new house and, hopefully, tossing out much of what we own, but do not need.

Relatively busy day today. Now that we have an "address", I can start changing addresses, getting utilities in our name, etc.  My list is long!


That's it for now, Thursday, June 26, 2014

No comments: