Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Spring 2014 June 17 Tuesday

72 degrees this morning, and a lovely morning it is.  Sitting on the patio listening to the birds and sipping coffee.  Life couldn't be better!  I even decided to eat breakfast later so I could spend more time on the patio during the best times.  Also, I may eat less throughout the day if I eat later!  Four more days until Summer starts.
A story this morning about a "robocopter" experiment in England reminded me of the appalling lack of progress in transportation, at least in my opinion.  I remember as a child looking at an advertisement and seeing a car going down the road with 4 people playing cards and no driver.  This was over 55 years ago and we are still driving basically the same way!  Obviously the cars are much improved (although some would disagree with that, I don't, I feel they are much improved), we still basically drive them the same way.  All of the progress in other areas, but we are still basically driving like we did over a century ago!  
I believe at least 14 years ago, I learned that the technology existed to the effect that you could walk out to your backyard, get in a small airplane/helicopter, and just sit there as computers and GPS handling taking off, flying it, landing it at your destination, all without any effort on your part!  Yet we still drive the same way and flying has even gotten worse than it was 14 years ago.  
Not only are are driving and flying the same, only recently have "alternative" methods of transportation (such as walking trails and bike paths separate from other vehicles been a priority.  (Well, with the exemption of Lakeland, where the new spoiled brat politician mayor and his toadies turned down a grant for a million dollars that would have made Lakeland truly bikeable and walkable, but that is another story.)
Actually, when I was a child, I truly thought we would probably be transporting ourselves (that isn't the right word, but the effect of just changing your form so that, for example in a matter of seconds, I could go from Lakeland to Kansas City).  While researching what this actually is on Google, I saw some interesting articles on transportation, as far as bicycles, even rickshaws I'll have to read when I have time.
I realize there are major barriers, including safety, etc. to all of this progress, but it is amazing that things really haven't changed for a century, at least, we are even still using mostly gasoline.  
Speaking of safety, I read this morning that robots killed over 30 people last year.  I realize the "robots" didn't really do it, lack of safety engineering in the robot operations did it, but it still is a sobering thought that you can be killed an an errant robot.  As they search for more ways to utilize robots, the safety factor is a major barrier (perhaps as in driverless cars and planes).  I also thought robots would be used a lot more although, perhaps, with the numerous small computers in use, it may be that we are using robots in a different context and form than expected.  I  read where they are trying to make robots more "appealing"  (I'm not sure if that means human  or like a cute puppy, or maybe even a cute machine).  Creatively couldn't hurt.  
Some other technology that I thought would take off faster than it has is nanotechnology.  I read "Prey" and though this would really tai off, but I haven't seen a lot about it.  Of course, if I put nanotechnology into a search engine, I may be proven wrong.  I also thought solar would be used much more than than it has been.   
Getting my tooth implant area "opened" today, the last process before the new teeth (actually crowns over the posts) are installed (I guess that is the right word) in about two months.  That will make the whole process a year long process.  A lot has happened since I first had the two teeth pulled on September 6, 2013 to prepare for the implants.
Also going to the Apple Store,  For some odd reason, my iPhone won't ring, which creates a log of voice messages and embarrassment when I don't answer my phone.  Also going to work on my iPhoto some more.
That's it for today, Tuesday, June 17, 2014

No comments: