Saturday, June 14, 2014

Spring 2014 June 14 Saturday

73 degrees this morning.  Beautiful day yesterday, should be one today.
Saturday, one week before the first day of Summer, and, in the usual way of cycles, the longest day of the year and the start of the end of Summer!  I always enjoy this time of year, especially the long days and (if I am  in the right place) the long sunsets that seem to last forever.  I don't see much of the sunsets in Lakeland because of the terrain and the trees. That is probably the one thing I miss the most (other than the long days, since sunset in Lakeland is an hour ahead of Oklahoma City). The wind, I don't miss one bit. I can understand why the continuous wind (especially in western Kansas and Oklahoma) used to (and may still)  create  problems for people with it's continuous blowing.   Hot seems hotter and cold seems colder with the wind.
Speaking of "continuous improvement" yesterday, when I was in grade school even, I can remember my parents having the "five foot Harvard books" (or something like that) and multivolume edition of history of the world.  (The Harvard books were black, the history books were a light blue).  I assume they are in a museum, on old bookshop or in a landfill by now.
Occasionally, I would start reading them about 15 minutes a day, thinking that if I read them 15 minutes a day, I would eventually read all of them and know everything there was to know in the world.  Probably a good plan, but I quickly realized it may not work since I didn't recall everything I read and it the 15 minutes of study was easy to postpone.  I actually did read some of the books and found them interesting, but I the knowledge of the world changed so much, and the world has changed so much.
Actually, some years ago (I lost track) I did start this, as far as reading "books I should have read", and with some success I have finished them, although it has taken me over a year in some cases.
Occasionally I am asked about my favorite book or the book that  I feel is the greatest book or a  life-changing book.  It is really hard to answer, since I really like many books and feel many books did change my life or can change your life.  The literature books (actually from my older brothers and sisters) I read when I was a child will always have a special place in my heart.  I didn't always understand the story (I didn't realize that ''Alas Babylon" was about a nuclear disaster aftermath util I re-read it years later), but I have a warm feeling about many of the stories and short novels and their authors. I tracked down all of them (although some are later editions) and they are a prize possession.  They (the stories and articles) are like old friends.
Full moon last night was amazing.
Today will be another busy day.  "Winds of change" are blowing around us, so to speak.  On the other hand, maybe not yet.  The next week will tell.
That's it for now, Saturday, June 14, 2014

No comments: