Friday, June 13, 2014

Spring 2014 June 13 Friday

63 degrees this morning. Should be relatively clear day.
Working on iPhoto some more, trying to organize my photos. It is a time consuming task. Also, I am at the point where when I discard a picture, it is gone for good! I think that this is the last and only picture of that specific moment in time of that specific place or person and I am deleting it! ''
Maybe what makes pictures special is that there is only so many pictures you can comprehend and review and appreciate. Too many and they start to blur and maybe even lose their meaning and the person looking at them loses their ability to appreciate each individual picture. Anyway, no matter what, it is very difficult to weed pictures, just as it is difficult to week books etc.
I usually have to make several runs, first I delete the obviously bad photos (blurred etc.), then I sort anything that seems to be a duplicate or duplication. Than I get into the value judgement of what I delete and what I keep. I have no rules, other that I try to keep the most representative of an experience or person or place.
Speaking of weeding, deleting and throwing out, we are going to hit "packing" in a big way this next week, although we still aren't sure when we are moving. We decided it was best to "be prepared" and pack/sort/weed what we don't need in our daily life. Of course, that makes it difficult when I want to find something, or most of the times, actually impossible!
I have noticed from past experience, weeding/throwing out/giving away items becomes a lot easier as a deadline approaches. It becomes much easier to part with items when you think about packing and transporting them. The clothes you may wear "sometime", or the book you may read suddenly become much less valuable.
Speaking of clothes, for years I carted some clothes (jeans etc. dress shirts) based on the fact I would wear them when I lost weight. Several years ago, I was able to wear many of them and I get a little feeling of satisfaction every time I put them on and remember when I couldn't even come close to wearing them!
Long, although generally satisfying day yesterday, as noted by my short entry. Some days are "short entry" days, even though a lot happened and some days are "long entry" even if not much happened. I think every day can be a long entry day, but some days there is just too much going on to allow time for a long entry. Of course, there are days where a long entry is absolutely required to accurately document the day.
Interview yesterday seemed to go well, although you never know. I try to learn from each one. It will be a very interesting job if I am offered it. It would be much different than I have been doing and would be a different life style, but that could be good.
I am not a person who believes change is necessary for its' own sake, but change is going to happen and I would rather control change than be controlled by it. More to the point, change is necessary to adapt to new procedures and technology and is absolutely necessary in my belief in "continuous improvement", making small improvements every day.
I first heard the phrase years ago (actually it was in a "telecommuting" course I was taking at Rose State College in Management. I may have heard it before, but this is where it first reached my conscious mind and grabbed me. I realized this is what I was doing anyway, but it gave a name to it.
Of course, then (at least in my mind) the question of "what is improvement" comes up. I guess in the end, if you feel it is an improvement, it is an improvement. Of course, I have learned a lot from "improvements" I eventually rejected as not being feasible or workable, and at least I have learned that approach is not workable!
That's it for now, Friday, June 13, 2014

No comments: