Monday, June 16, 2014

Spring 2014 June 16 Tuesday

73 degrees this morning.
Good to get back into my exercise routine.  I've missed it. Also the first day I've worn shorts and a short sleeve shirt on my walk.  Still listening to the "Bully Pulpit".  An oddity, I saw a black and white cat sitting in the middle of the street.  It didn't seem fazed at all my me walking past, although I expect a car or truck may create some problems for it!
I think my exercise routine seems to create a pattern.  Of course, I was surprised when the USA Today website on its's News section headlined two stories about NBA basketball (which I consider on a par with pro wrestling, especially when the league disqualified the best Grizzles player for the final game), at least one story about some HBO show and some other forgettable stories.  Maybe they are providing what the readers want, maybe they have lost contact with their readers like some politicians apparently have lost contact with their constituents.  It seems that sports stories should be in the sports section and tv stories wherever they belong.  I realize a lot of people disagree with me on this, and that is fine.  That is what is fun about this, I can state my opinion.  
Also noticed the oddity again of the Wall Street Journal headlining a story about the "coming back" of PC desktops and laptops and the USA Today had a story about how tablets were taking over for PC despots and and laptops!  (Similar to recent conflicting stories in the USA Today about how everyone was moving back to the central city while the Wall Street Journal had a story bout the resurgence of the suburbs on the same day, using the same data!  Also read this morning about how much of the news media has developed "beltway syndrome" (with beltway being Washington D.C. or a state capital etc.) and losing touch with their readers.  
Another story made me laugh, it was a story on a person who said "all the important stuff has already been invented".  Reminds me of my high school teacher who said only "big corporations" would invent items and make any money.  (Long before Steve Jobs, Bill Gates etc.).  
Interesting papers this morning!  In spite of the time it takes (I actually read most of them on the stationary bike), I really enjoy reading my Commercial Appeal, Wall Street Journal and New York Times each day (and the on-line USA Today at breakfast).  When I am out of town, no matter what my intentions, I normally don't read the WSJ or NYT to any great degree, even though they are available on line.  I do read the Commercial Appeal on line, although I am thinking of canceling the Commerical Appeal since it has absolutely no stories on the "suburbs" such as Lakeland anymore, which I think is bad for Lakeland residents, not having some sort of watchdog.  
Packing continues, preparing for  move which may or not come (maybe some hints of "Waiting for Godot" type feeling).  
Sitting on our wonderful patio this morning in the summer weather, I wonder if this will be the last time and I decide I'm not going to worry about it.  I'm enjoy it until we don't have it anymore and then I'll find something else.  Maybe not as good, but at least I will enjoy this while I have it without worrying about the future.  (Kind of like the song "Live Like You are Dying".)  I even enjoy the noisy birds again.  
This is also the true height of summer.  The longest days of daylight, before "summer" actually starts and the days start to shorten into fall and winter  before the start of winter changes the process and spring comes again.  
That's it for now, Monday, June 16, 2014.

No comments: