Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Winter 2014 February 19 Wednesday

61 degrees this morning.
I will be glad to say "goodby" or at least "see you in six months" to my winter walking clothes.  It is strange, many of them I have had for years and literally never worn until this winter, when I have worn almost all of them at some time.  It will be so nice this Spring and Summer to simply put on a t shirt, shorts and my bandanna "hat" and go to a walk and bike ride!  
Went to the Doctor yesterday for normal appt.  I always feel a sense of relief when I leave without being advised I have some dread disease or major problem.  Actually, the nurse took my blood pressure (100/68) looked at my lab results (all within limits) and asked "what was I doing here!".  The Doctor (who is a great Doctor) went over everything and of course, suggested I watch out for low blood pressure.  He explained as I lost weight (which is very slow now, but at least decreasing), my blood pressure also went down.  If I started feeling dizzy when I got out of a chair etc., it could be low pressure. 
Applying for Medicare, a stage of passage, I guess.  It has been rather bewildering even for me, and I am used to regulations.  I made the mistake of filling out an on-line questionnaire for information and got 10 phone calls and 5 e-mails in 10 minutes.  The phone literally ran 30 seconds after I made the mistake of hitting send, putting my phone number on it.  In fairness, all the calls were polite and non-pushy.  Since I am enrolling under a special exception (I didn't apply at 65 since I had employer coverage), I had to call and couldn't enroll over the internet.  When I finally got through, the representative was courteous, knowledgable and courteous, but I still haven't gotten the information I need to fill out and send back by February 28. I at least understand my options, thanks to Consumer Reports and the information provided by Medicare.
Still thinking about starting a private business.  The more I think about it, the more I like it.  I have a lot of self-initiative and can work independently.  I am brainstorming now.  I get so angry when I hear about some of the people who are discriminated against because of their age that I feel I ought to try to do something in that area.  Oddly enough, I don't resent it as far as I personally am concerned, at least for City Manager positions.  I feel the elected officials should be able to hire whom they want, if my age is a problem so be it, that is their problem.  Some of the other stories I hear (being laid off right before retirement, led on and then laid off etc. just infuriate me.  While it isn't legal (age discrimination) it is very hard to prove and most people don't want to file complaints or lawsuits for that or even very overt hostile worksite situations.  
Watching Richard Engel (NBC Foreign Correspondent).  It is amazing where he turns up, I really wonder what kind of life he has.  I really admire him for the work he does.  I don't believe I would want to do it (maybe 40 years ago).  He turns up everyplace.  
Reading "The Circle" and trying to decide if I am going to continue.  So far it has kept my interest, but I hope it doesn't degenerate into complete fantasy.  I don't mind fantasy (I loved "Snowcrash") as long as they don't degenerate into one of those things that "I can't describe it,but I know it when I read it"!  One of my secret vices is "Jack Reacher" novels (Lee Child), I devour them as soon as they come out and frequently listen to the audiobook also.

No comments: