Saturday, February 15, 2014

Winter 2014 February 15, 2014 Saturday

28 degrees this mooring.  However, it seemed a lot colder than that, perhaps doe to the moisture from all the rain yesterday.
Almost seemed colder than the -14 degrees in Colorado last week (it seems like a lot longer than that!), but then the air in Colorado is so much crisper. I really enjoyed the Colorado air, must be from the altitude (or maybe the attitude!).  Anyway the -14 wasn't all that bad as long as I had something on my hands.
I remember working at Samsonite summers when I was going through college.  Colorado was a whole new world to me and not just because of the altitude.  (Although I noticed when I went back to Kansas after spending the summer in Colorado how much hotter it seemed in Kansas!)  I was not used to the cool air (in the shade) or the traffic, large crowds etc.  I actually really had a lot of fun. I didn't have a car, so I learned how to use the bus.
In a really strange coincidence, I moved right next door to my High School superintendent  who was in Denver going to school!  I don't recall his name now, but he was the Superintendent/Principal at Dorrance.
It was a good experience for me.  I worked in a factory (actually on the assembly line) and learned a lot there as well as the first large city I had even lived in.  It was probably a little overwhelming, but I enjoyed Denver.  I also developed an attachment to tamales.  The first summer I was there they were still selling them on the street corner and they were so good!  The next summer they no longer sold them on street corners, don't know if it was a health or economic issue.  Several years later I was stationed at Lowry AFB near Denver while attending training in the Air Force.  
Speaking of Dorrance, that was where I had one of my favorite/most influential teachers, a man named Jack Green. He taught government and journalism (or whatever they called).  While I was already interesting in government, he also taught me to write news releases, which has helped me organize my thoughts in writing ever since.
Sun is shining today.  Hope it is a better day than yesterday.  

No comments: