Sunday, February 02, 2014

Winter 2014 February 2 Sunday

37 degrees this morning. Rain and wind.  Started to walk, but finally had to come back since the rain was just coming down too hard and I really had to question myself if it was worth it!
In spite of the time saved by not talking my all, the morning "hyper time" and my piddling around created time problems again, even on Sunday morning!  As discussed previously, I am amazed at how much time small activities end up consuming.
Forecasting snow here today, I believe the first actual snow in a winter of very cold (for this area) weather. 
Sometimes I get the largest insights just be chance.  At least it may by an insight.  A friend was talking about how she too Sylvan Learning Center since her reading comprehension was poor.  She said they taught her to "understand the first line before she went on to the next line".   Sounds simple, but i expect it is a major building block of reading comprehension.  (I'll have to look up their techniquesI).  I haven't tried it yet, but I intend to on certain material.  She said it made a major difference in there reading comprehension. 
I think I may have had the same enlightenment about writing when I was in high school.  I learned about the "5 W's and the H", and about how to structure a news story.  I feel that has always helped me with writing.  I literally never get "writers block" and I think a major reason is that there is a structure and I just need to fill in the blanks, to a point.  I mentioned to a friend once that I frequently compose a memo or letter while I am riding the bike or walking and I just physically type it out when I get back.  While my  reading comprehension is ok (Of course, I love to read, but that doesn't mean my comprehension is always good, and I can use the technique of "understand the first line before going on".  Of course, that assumes there is a reason to understand the first line!
Went to Apple Store yesterday.  As I usually found, I received outstanding, even better than outstanding service.  I am impressed by 90% of the Apple personnel, how dedicated they are.
Our big adventure awaits. 

No comments: