Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Winter 2014 February 18 Tuesday

37 degrees this morning.  I am so ready for Spring and Summer.
Thought I had lost a "wallet" I carry as kind of a supplemental wallet since I don't like to have "thick" wallets.  I looked all day yesterday and even checked at places where I had been .  Even though it didn't include my drivers license and my "main" credit cards, it did include gift cards.
While walking this morning, I though about it and concentrated on my movements.  When I got home I walked to may favorite chair and there it was! Just for the heck of it, I checked the contents and was surprised to discover it had over $200 in case (I NEVER carry that much cash!), about $200 in gift cards (Barnes and Noble, Outback, Starbucks etc.), my AARP Card, an American Express Card and a Discover Card and my car insurance verification.  And about $260 in uncashed checks.  I don't even want to think about the time involved in chasing everything down if I had lost it.  
I carry my Drivers License and main credit cards in my cell phone case, which works well.  Except that several weeks ago, we were about to leave for a plane flight and I realized I didn't have my drivers license.  When I drive to the gym (raining etc.), I take my Drivers License out and I had left it in my exercise clothes pocket.  I'll never do that again!  I could easily have driven tot eh airport and not had it with me and not noticed it until I was at the airport.
I am thinking of starting my own business.  I am still applying for jobs, but the thought of being in business for myself is rather alluring.  It is the perfect time for it and I could afford to start slow and build it up, if I could find the right business model.  I've thought about it all my life and I will never have a better time than now.  Something to think about.  I have several applications out, but it appears my age is going to be a barrier.  Something I found no one talks about until I mention it than I suddenly get a torrent of words about similar (age discrimination) experiences.   In some cases it has been overt and even used as a reason, so it is not hidden, and it is definitely out there.
Oddly enough, I hadn't even really thought about my own business much until after I went to a "1 to 1" training at the Apple Store yesterday.  The "Creative" who helped me was so positive and supportive, I had the brainstorm (this morning actually) that that may be a viable alternative.  There isn't any direct relationship, but somehow what we went over (actually it was on the iPad), I think it somehow unleashed my creative thinking patterns?  Or something like that.
I am now in the throes of thinking about specifically what type of business I'd like to start.  Of course, I"d gladly exchange the thoughts for a challenging City Manager job in the right place!

No comments: