Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Summer 2013: June 25


On my walk this morning, the book I was listening to, "Steve Jobs", somehow got "rewound" and I ended up listening to most of what I listened to yesterday again.  That is ok if my mind wandered, but this book is good enough I concentrate on it, so it was irritating to have to listen to it again and try to refind my place.

I blame Audible (owned by Amazon) for an amazingly poor product and even worse customer service.  I am supposed to be able to record the audio books one time to a CD and it simply doesn't work.  Numerous calls and e-mails to Amazon/Audible have no result.

Of course, my experience with Amazon has been amazingly poor service, little or no response, other than the continuous clutter of books etc. that Amazon "thinks" I will be interested in, which I automatically send to my trash.  I am amazed Amazon actually thinks they have ANY idea of what I want to read and I deeply resent their thinking so.

Back to audio books, I also dislike Apple products for that reason.  The first iPods had a switch to avoid accidentally brushing the iPod (in my case, an old iPhone 3 I use for an iPod Touch) and changing the book.

I know, I can stop using Audible books and certainly can get by without Amazon.  As soon as Amazon starts collecting sales tax, I will never order from them again.  If I could find a replacement for Audible books, I would.

Spent yesterday at the Tennessee Municipal League conference in Memphis, picking up the required "continuing education" credits for my Certified Municipal Finance Officer designation.  I worked too hard for it to let it lapse!  Overall it was good.

Another beautiful morning out on the patio.  I love my time out here and really value it.  I wonder if I would value it so much if I had more time.

I was pleased last night I was able to change my battery on my bicycle helmet light (the back one that flashes red etc that supposedly can be seen for a mile).  Being a mechanical zero, I am always pleased when I take the time to figure something mechanical (and it works), I am pleased.  I'm not really sure if that is actually "mechanical", but I'll assume it is for my purposes anyway.  Sometime maybe I will learn to change a tire on my bike, although it is more effective to just avoid flats!

No comments: