Thursday, September 29, 2016

2016 Fall September 29 Thursday

2016 Fall September 29 Thursday

53 degrees this morning.

Back to the regular world!  Didn’t walk this morning since got back late last night (not real late) and, quite frankly, I need some time to adjust to the cold weather! 

This will be a short work week!  I always start work after I get back from a break wondering how I will do, but I always get right back into it.

The trip back was relatively uneventful.  We drove back, rather than fly, for a number of reasons.  Although it isn’t the reason, I like driving because it gives you the chance to transition back to the routine. 

Overall, our experience with Uber cars was positive.  Certainly the types of cars varied!  We rode in everything from a small compact to a what is considered a luxury SUV, all for the same price except for the occasional “surge pricing”.

We (or at least I) am glad we got the more “home like” hotel (with more room, a small refrigerator and microwave etc.) rather than pay a lot more for a “box” near the convention.  May not do that everyplace, but it worked there.  

Looking at the Apple iWatch.  I have decided on two possible models, the major difference being cost.  The more expensive one has some obvious features that you are paying for.

However, I’m not sure if something I will probably use 2 or 3 years before it is “obsolete” is worth paying what to me a a substantial amount for some features that are basically features that will make it last longer.  I have to assume that to some degrees the current watches will continue to receive software upgrades.  

I did read that once the battery has to be changed it will probably be impossible to make it waterproof again.  I don’t know if that is true of not, but it makes you realize the watch is hardly a long term investment like most watches are.  I think I need to look at it more as a computer which will become obsolete.  

I read (ok, on Facebook, so I don’t know how true it is) about the short “shelf life” of many products I thought lasted for a long time.

For example, it said hydrogen peroxide turned to water a few months after it is opened.  Probably some truth to that considering that it probably evaporates.  I never thought about that before.

They also mention slippers should be tossed after six months (primarily germs).  I have a pair I have had for at least 30 years, so I can imagine the germs on that!  (I do wash them).  

They also mentioned tossing towels after a year (the period may be different), also due to germs.  

I did know about walking shoes and the padding etc. after six months or a year.
I’’m going to research it some and see how true all of that is.  I actually have gotten to the point I skim Facebook, to say the least.  

It is supposed to warm up today.  Since today is a “field day” for me, the cold weather this morning made me think of scrambling for some warmer clothes, but I think it will warm up enough during the day.  

Just watching a tape of “Mad Money” and he mentions how some companies aren’t keeping up with the “generational changes”, so well known brands may not be the good investment they seem.

Even just thinking of the past Conferences I have attended, I can note the “generational changes” as well as some basics that never change.


That’s it for now, Thursday, September 29, 2016. 

No comments: