Tuesday, September 06, 2016

f2018 Summer September 6, 2016

2016 Summer September 6 Tuesday

78 degrees this morning, walk 35:05 minutes 

I finally started researching “chronic cough” in relationship to GERD and was a little surprised to find a high relationship between “GERD” and chronic coughing.  

I actually enjoyed reading (well, skimming) the medical journal on this.  

Somethingd never thought about before is the relationship of ph to food and drinks and GERD, thus chronic coughing.

Makes sense of course, I just never made the jump until I started r researching it.

Being around wastewater treatment and water, I am well aware of PH and I am surprised I never made the connection with PH in food (and even drinking water)before.  f

For example, the articles said to avoid any food or drinks with a PH of under 5 (meaning it  is high in acid). Of course, that makes sense  

I found that many of the foods I  like (blackberries, gatorade, oranges etc.) are high acid (PH under 5).  Of course, coffee and tea are in there also, as well as chocolate etc.  

For some reason, I had never thought of drinking water (that is, bottled water) as having low PH, but some arenas had as low as 3.2 meaning highly acid. Most drinking waters in the 6 to 8PH range,which is where I wold expect to find it (neutral).  

Anyway, so I am going to be checking the PH of everything I eat.  As I know from my coughing spells when I drink Pepsi after I quit taking medicine for may GERD years ago, coke and similar products are highly acid.  

Some years ago, I decided to “reward” myself with a Pepsi after about three months of going without carbonated drinks.  I coughed and coughed and coughed.  That was the last carbonated drink I ever had and think that was about 9 years ago!  (The ph is around 2, which is highly acid and can probably take the enamel off your teeth) 

Of course the standard ( for everything) “lose weight”.  I will restart my  weight and eating program. 

Another food to avoid fro GERD is “fat” in foods. Since I already don’t really care for fat (at least animal fat), I should be ok there, except I have  a weakness for candy and cookies which I  believe have lots of fat, which makes GERD (and thus coughing) worse.  

I also will need to watch what kind of water I drink because some of the bottled water has a PH figure of  .under 3, which is highly acid.

Anyway I am going to monitor my eating habits attempting to keep my PH foods low and also my ‘f lo                               

I seem to learn something new every day!  While when I look at it now, it is obvious that the PH of food would have a major effect on my GERD, but I never really thought that bottled water etc. could be a problem!  

As I mentioned before, mass distribution of things we need can create problems when the mass distribution doesn’t work!

End of the 3-day weekend, it was a nice weekend.  Hard to write “September 6, times seems to have gone so fast!


That’s it for now, Tuesday, September 6, 2016.

No comments: