Sunday, September 11, 2016

2016 Summer September 11 Sunday



59 degrees this morning, walk 35:11 minutes.  

I don’t need to say too much about the temperature.  It was chilly out there, although my walk was fine since I kept active and I was dressed for the chilly weather.  

When I am purchasing a major item like furniture or a car, I kind of feel like a sheep on a conveyer belt getting shorn as I guide past!  Probably is very likely the way it is!  

All I can do is do the best I can on financing etc., even if I really don’t need it, I always take no-interest payments for as long as I can.  I did make a slight exception on a bed, since going as long as I technically could have would have made the payments extremely small.  In this case it was a new promotion, and I don’t think the store understood the process.  

In the case of the mattress, I know you can get some good products over the internet, but I”m not quite ready for that, ordering something that important without seeing it and feeling it.  I know you can always return it, but….

Actually, in a way, we did buy our last car over the internet, it was somewhat of a hybrid deal,  (a hybrid deal on a hybrid car!) we got a firm price over the internet, but actually purchased it from the dealer (with the usual hard sale for the extended warranties etc.)

I always am amazed that when you buy something (especially a car) they brag how good it is, then, after you buy it they try to get more money from you by telling you how bad the car is!

In the case of computers (at least laptop computers) and similar devices (including some complicated devices), I almost always buy an extended warranty.  

Of course, even then you have to be careful.  We have found that with Best Buy (we not longer buy anything from Best Buy), the extended warranty is worthless, or maybe worse than worthless since they try to find a  reason to charge a service call.

 Apple Computer does an excellent job on their extended warranties as well as their regular warranties.  

Happened to be near the Apple Store yesterday and looked at the Apple watches.  Of course, the new ones weren’t out yet, but we got some idea of what was available and what we liked.  they have a wide selection, but we were actually able to narrow it down fairly quickly.  

I actually plan on waiting a while so they can work out any kinks.  I really don’t have “new watch fever” (at least yet). It is an amazing device.  

Aliene is also due for an upgrade to an iPhone 7.  Usually she would have gotten one two years ago, but she didn’t see any reason at the time. 

Without commenting too much on my feelings about the situation, I feel like the news media has completely lost control of what is “news”.

Recently I was looking at the “Apple News” app, (and this isn’t Apple’s fault, it is the “news media”), there were about 40% stories on “celebrities”  who I could care less about anything they think or do, about 25% on sports figures and what they do besides play  sports, again something I could care less about, about 20% opinion disguised as news and about 15% actual news.   At least it doesn’t take me long to read it, since I skip over the “celebrities”, sports figures who feel like their opinion is more important than it is and the opinions disguised as news.  

That is one reason I stick with the Wall Street Journal and New York Times, they may include some of that, but it’s not almost the entire “news”.  

I mark that as something I can’t do anything about, but at least I can state my opinion!


That’s it for now, Sunday, September 11, 2016.

No comments: