Friday, October 25, 2019

2019 Fall October 25 Friday

#Purple_Days_and_Golden_Nights
#My_Journey_19
#Fall_of_19

41 degrees this morning, 97% humidity, rain.

Miserable day yesterday it rained all day, getting colder.  The rain made the cold worse and vice-versa.  Still raining, has been raining almost continuously since Wednesday night, fortunately a light rain most of the time.

First day back at work.  As normal, fell into the routine like I hadn’t been on vacation.  

Not to say the vacation wasn’t well worth it, it was great to get away for a while and just enjoy some new scenery.  Perhaps best of all was the relief of the respiratory problems, coughing , etc.  

It was really amazing how suddenly the respiratory problems ceased suddenly.  Something around here is very strong to cause the problems. 

In a way, it is a relief that it is probably an allergy and not some chronic condition.  Now, if I could just figure out what it is around here that creates the problem.  

Reading more of “The Institute” by Stephan King. It has definitely kept my interest. I won’t go into the plot, but it is interesting.  

Watching Les Miserables on tv, the PBS movie.  I have heard of it all my life, but never read or watched it.  I cheated a little and read the plot, at least the first part of it. I enjoy  a movie like this a lot more if I have some prior knowledge of the plot.  

We happened to be where game one of the World Series was on and started watching it.  We enjoy baseball, so we are watching the games.  It is interesting how the games unfold in a way that no one could predict.  We are, of course, rooting for one team like we have been lifelong fans.  

I recently read about “face recognition” artificial intelligence software being used for hiring people.  

The system analyzes the job candidates facial movements, word choice and speaking voice and then “ranks” them against other applicants on an automatically generated “employability” score.

Of course, as you would expect, colleges and companies  are now having courses in how to get a “higher score” on the program!  Kind of defeats the purpose of the program, unless it is to hire people who score high on an artificial construct!

Probably the worst part of it is that the applicants are never told why they aren’t hired, aren’t advised as to what the computer didn’t like about them.

I think in the spirit of “you get what you pay for," certain traits will be all that is hired and the companies will miss the creativity that comes from having different types of backgrounds, thinking , etc. 

Of course the chance for mischief with the algorithms is high and probably already part of the process already. 

I remember when I applied for Graduate School, one fo the important aspects they considered was my background was different and that is something they desired.

More on this later. 


That’s it for now, Friday, October 25, 2019.

#Resist

No comments: