Thursday, October 06, 2016

2016 Fall October 6 Thursday we



76 degrees this morning.  Walk 36:09 minutes 

Had a real show as I walked this morning, almost continuous lightning to the north.  I was ready to skedaddle  back home if I heard thunder, but I never did, so I just enjoyed the lightning show.  The wind was from the south, so I figured it wouldn’t come here but you never know!

I am now sitting out on the patio, probably for one of the last times in 2016, washing the lightning show, except I just think I hear some thunder in the distance.

The lightning was kind of like the  “northern lights” you can see when you get further north.  It is a very intense lightning storm.  

I can remember watching the Northern Lights when I was growing up in Kansas. I don’t recall what seasons there  were the highest but they were always fun to watch.  

When I was in the Air Force at Goose Bay, Newfoundland, the Northern Lights were especially intense.  

The wind is blowing kind of the “winds of change” as I call it, a wind that predicts some sort of change the weather or even just the basic environment, if that makes any sense.

I don’t know if our personal lives have a “wind of change” or not.  Of course, life is change.  I really notice change in children, how the years pass and they become adults.

I just got “longevity” pay, which was the two year mark.  Not a lot, but, it all is nice to have.  

Listening to the Audiobook “great course” on American Literature, I see some real gaps in my knowledge.  

For example, I never really paid a lot of attention to Ralph Waldo Emerson.  However, he was one of the major influences on American literature and thought.  Still don’t expect I will ever  read anything by him, but it is good to get some knowledge of him and his work.

He also went through an extensive psychological  analysis of Rip Van Winkle  Lets just say I never thought about these aspects of Rip Van Winkle, but they make sense and also echo in later literature.  

Started raining (just as I heard some thunder) so i retreated from the patio to cover!  It’s not raining really hard yet, but enough that I had to come in.  

It would be interesting to analyze what I write and determine if I write about different things in the house than I do on the patio.  I’m not going to do it and I”m sure no one else is going to so it will remain a question!

Actually, I don’t think there is any question that my environment influences what I write about, including both the subjects and the tone. 

Field day today, catch up on paperwork and phone calls.   Both office days and field days are good, as long as they kind of balance out.

Looking back over two years I realize how much I have learned about my job in that two years, but also how much I don’t know!


That’ it for now, Thursday, October 6, 2016.   

No comments: