Saturday, October 22, 2016

2016 Fall October 22 Saturday


54 degrees this morning, walk 36:37 minutes

After I heard the presentation on “Vampire Decisions” at the conference, I have been thinking of that plus other decision making.

I wrote a summary of “Vampire Decisions” plus gave a speech on it to help reinforce the concept and help me actually use it.  “Vampire Decisions” are the life changing decisions (college you select, marriage, retirement,  where you live etc.) that you can’t “go back”.

As I explained it, you are a different person when you have to “live the decision” that you are when you “make the decision” and you can’t go back.

On the other hand, there are what I call “sunk cost” decisions.  

One “sunk cost” decision that amazes me why it is so hard to make, is my past purchase of very inexpensive walking shoes which weren’t good enough quality and make my feet hurt.  

It seems I would gladly toss them without another thought.  Instead I find it very hard to toss them, even though they only cost around $20!  I keep thinking I can use them if I walk in the mud etc., but how often do I walk in the mud!

Another example is pens I have picked up over the years.  I’m talking about “free” pens, without any real relevance as far as what they say etc.  

Even though these pens are so old the ink has literally dried up I still have a difficult time throwing them away.  

I have gotten to the point that I try the “fire treatment”  (using a match heating up the point to get the ink to run) on the pen and do throw it away if it doesn’t work.  Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t.

I got to thinking, what I really need to do just toss all of them (there are quite a few) and buy a few new pens, that are so cheap I can get all I need for years for the cost of a cheap meal out.   

Ditto with shoes I no longer wear and clothes I no longer wear etc.  I’m not talking about clothes I am waiting to “grow into” (as in losing weight so I can wear them, although I don’t have any clothes in such a category any more) but clothes that are worn out,  or for some reason I just wouldn’t wear anymore.

It’s not like it cost all that much to replace the things.  

Over the past three years I have gotten a lot better at throwing or giving stuff away, but sometime it still hits me that I am keeping a lot of stuff that I really can’t use, won’t use or don’t need.  Frequently the replacement item, if I needed it, cost very little.

Watching some of the preliminary activities (taped of course) of the Austin (Texas) Formula One Grand Prix which will be held this Sunday.  Hopefully I will be able to attend one personally some time.

What amazes me about Formula One car reaching is the organization that allows them to put on a race in a different country every two weeks, some countries you would’t associate with such racing!  I assume they have he experience to organize it.

I don’t know if I would really enjoy it if I went or not, but I would like to find out!  Actually, the cost of attending the race isn't that much, it is probably all of he other things (hotels, meals, transportation etc) that cost so much.

Realistically I’ll probably never go, but who knows?  It doesn’t  hurt to dream a little!.


That’s it for now, Saturday, October 22, 2016.

No comments: