Monday, October 03, 2016

2016 Fall October 3 Monday

2016 Fall October 3 Monday

65 degrees this morning, Walk 36:39 minutes 

Start of another “work week”, the weekends go so fast!  

Started listening to a new book this morning, actually a series of lectures on “Great American Literature” from the “Great Courses”.  

American Literature holds a special place in my past, since I read, reread and read some more the high school literature books of my older brothers and sister.  I still like to reread some of the stores sometimes.  

When I took American Literature in high school and college I really enjoyed them.

I think when I hear the term “lecture”, I immediately think of a dry, technical speech and I have a hard time  staying awake.

Fortunately, the “Great Courses” thus far have been absolutely wonderful and interesting and this one has certainly started out well.

I want through the basic interdiction this morning, which was rather interesting in itself, as the speaker explains his concept of reviewing literature.  

He stated that literater /art is the way of “making facts into experience”, or something like that.  I’m probably not using the right words, but I know what I mean!

After the introduction, he started off with Ben Franklin, whose “autobiography” the instructor calls the first “American” literature, even though he points out Franklin was born in 1706 and thus actually considered himself to be British who was loyal to the King.

The regular Major League Baseball Season is over, the “playoffs”, such as they are, are starting.  Another sign that Summer is over.  

The start of a new month also means I normally get a lot of new accounts to work in my job.  We get the major items the first of the month, although  there are some new isms during the month.   The important work still comes the first of the month.  

That makes the first of the month “exciting” as I anticipate the new accounts.  Since I see them as kind of  a challenge,  it is always interesting as I work through them.   

It really is very interesting, as each situation is somewhat unique, even with the same basic cause.  

The “new” car all be two years old this month (I believe Oct. 11), but I still think of it as the ‘new”
car even though it has 30,000 miles on it.  

I plan on driving it for seven years, although it is possible after 100,000 miles I may reconsider, especially if I am still driving it for work.  
It has been a good car, and has some feature I  really like, such as a backup camera (I wouldn’t buy a car without one) and the “blind spot monitor”.   

Last week, the car we rented to drive home and we were impressed by the safety features in it, especially the “out of lane” warning etc.  I didn’t realize I went out of the lane so much!

That’s it for now, Monday, October 3, 2016,    




No comments: