Monday, December 17, 2018

2018 Fall December 17 Monday


29 degrees this morning, no walk, 84% humidity 

No walk this morning due to head cold etc.  Actually feeling better this morning, but then I haven’t been outside yet!  

If my cold follows the “7 day rule” I should be completely over it by Wednesday or Thursday.  Here is hoping!  

I recently had the pleasure of noting the graduation of a person who got a degree after a series of starts and stops.  He also has a job that is related to his degree, that he loves and that what he does is valuable.  

Hard to beat that!   I am reminded again of the quote that leaped out at me 5 years ago.  I had ajob where I was on call 24/7 and could always, at any time, get a phone call with an emergency. 

Suddenly I didn’t have that job, and I had “no worries” as they say.  It is a strange experience.  Even now, 5 years after the quote first leaped out at me in the book, the quote means a lot to me.  

Quote from "And the Mountains Echoed"

"Now I was free to do as I wished, but I found the freedom illusory, for what I wished for had been taken from me. They say, Find a purpose in life and live it.  But, sometimes, it is only after you have lived that you recognize your life had a purpose, and likely one you never had in mind”.

Listening to Michelle Obama’s book “Becoming”, it is also a story of a person who searches for some meaning in her work life.  Regardless of your political beliefs, it is an excellent book 

I assume this can actually work both ways, and the “search for meaning” etc. may also be the reason that someone who already has billions and more money than they ever can spend will risk jail time to make a pittance more by violating the law etc.  Money has become the passion rather than the process.  

About to finish watching the series “The Wire”.  It only lasted five seasons.  I figure I have watched 5 seasons, with an average of 13 episodes for a total of 65 hours.  It is still the top-rated series ever on HBO.  (I watched it on Amazon Prime, it actually ran from about 2003 to 2008, so it has been awhile since it was on.)

As I have noted, I watched it basically on “lunch breaks” I am required to take, plus when we go to Starbucks.

It has been a wonderful series, with the notation that the language is rather jarring sometimes.  My experience has been that people, including Police Officers etc. don’t casually use such language on a regular basis.  

I’m not sure what I will watch next, I won’t worry about it until I finish “The Wire” and then look at what is available.

I have been watching on Amazon Prime, but, through my cell phone service, I also have access to Netflex, so as they say I am in a position of having more than I can ever watch.  

Start of the last “work week” before the Christmas Holiday, (4 day weekend next week) and then New Year Day, which I am sure will be a weird week, working Monday and then off Tuesday, with Monday being a day of celebration!


That’s it for now, Monday, December 17, 2018.

No comments: